Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New garage lift

New garage lift

I was having the same problem that many of us have with the car addiction, no room to put them all. I was figuring out what to do and had a couple of options.
    1. Buy a building to store them in. This wasn't ideal because it would be a lot of money and the cars would be away from me.
    2. Build something else at my house. This wasn't ideal either because I live on a ridge, so my yard is a couple of acres but most of it is a sloping hill, so there wasn't anywhere really to build another garage. Then I had an idea. My two car garage had an attic above it. A friend was building a deck for me so I asked him if we could eliminate the attic and raise the ceiling in the garage. He said no if it was made with truss built, but if it was stick built, sure. Luckily it was stick built so all he had to do was raise the pitch, and he was able to re-use most of the existing lumber!

Once the garage was where I wanted it, stage two came in, the lifts. The first lift went in today. My friend Greg helped me put it in, he also ordered it for me, he's the manager of the local NAPA. He had done one before but even with his experience it isn't a simple affair. There are lots of adjustments and a couple of times we had to take stuff apart and put it back together. It took 1.5 days, so it isn't as easy as the manufacturers make it out to be, but it is do-able if you're patient and know tools.
    I ordered the 2nd lift today and it should be here in a couple of weeks, which works out because the 3rd car, the 993, is coming Feb 4th and the 4th car the 65 Mustang fastback should be done around there too.

So overall my review is you can put a lift in your garage yourself but it isn't super duper easy.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Yep, a lift is sure nice to have. When you wake up in the middle of the night with the world weighing on your mind, you can grab a glass of warm milk, go to your garage and rock yourself to sleep.

Ravi
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    Very nice Adam! But shouldn't your plate read Adam 12 because of the detective work you're always doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    I was having the same problem that many of us have with the car addiction, no room to put them all. I was figuring out what to do and had a couple of options.
    1. Buy a building to store them in. This wasn't ideal because it would be a lot of money and the cars would be away from me.
    2. Build something else at my house. This wasn't ideal either because I live on a ridge, so my yard is a couple of acres but most of it is a sloping hill, so there wasn't anywhere really to build another garage. Then I had an idea. My two car garage had an attic above it. A friend was building a deck for me so I asked him if we could eliminate the attic and raise the ceiling in the garage. He said no if it was made with truss built, but if it was stick built, sure. Luckily it was stick built so all he had to do was raise the pitch, and he was able to re-use most of the existing lumber!

Once the garage was where I wanted it, stage two came in, the lifts. The first lift went in today. My friend Greg helped me put it in, he also ordered it for me, he's the manager of the local NAPA. He had done one before but even with his experience it isn't a simple affair. There are lots of adjustments and a couple of times we had to take stuff apart and put it back together. It took 1.5 days, so it isn't as easy as the manufacturers make it out to be, but it is do-able if you're patient and know tools.
    I ordered the 2nd lift today and it should be here in a couple of weeks, which works out because the 3rd car, the 993, is coming Feb 4th and the 4th car the 65 Mustang fastback should be done around there too.

So overall my review is you can put a lift in your garage yourself but it isn't super duper easy.

---Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Guthrie View Post
    Very nice Adam! But shouldn't your plate read Adam 12 because of the detective work you're always doing?
    Funny story about that. I went to the DMV to get Adam 1 and Adam 2, both were taken, so I started at 10, got that 11 and when 12 came up it was taken so I got 13. When the lady, who was about 20, said ADAM 12 was taken I said that makes sense, because of the TV show. She had no clue what I was talking about. The lady next to her, who was about 50, said, "Car 1 ADAM 12, where are you?" I laughed. The young lady mumbled something about old people...
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Did you look to see if 1 ADAM 12 was taken?

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Did you look to see if 1 ADAM 12 was taken?
    It was taken.

Cool. Which one did you get?

I am looking to get one in the next 6 months. How much clearance do you need between the two ramps so you can eventually raise the car off the engine (instead of dropping the engine)?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Quote Originally Posted by neilk View Post
    Cool. Which one did you get?

I am looking to get one in the next 6 months. How much clearance do you need between the two ramps so you can eventually raise the car off the engine (instead of dropping the engine)?
    I got it through NAPA, the brand is Quality. Are you asking the distance between the ramps?

What ceiling height do you have? Usually manufacturers of car stackers have recommended heights but what can you really get away with?
    Peter D

1968 T Coupe RHD
    1973 E Targa RHD
    1972 E Coupe (sold)
    1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Early S Registry Member #2764
    TYP 901 Register #233

Nice. I love the lines of those '65/'66 Mustang 2+2's
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250