Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 T as a hot rod candidate...looking for opinions please

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Daisy is awesome.

Back to the subject, I would keep narrow, lowering it a bit, 15" inches fuchs, and the usual sport purpose interior stuff, doing a lightweight S tribute. Cool color such Signal yellow.

OR maybe T/R like wider rear wings.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica87911 View Post
    Mac, here's my 72 T in Lone Pine CA on the Targa California and my seats. When I bought it, it came with a 1977 engine rebuilt by Paul Weir (RIP), a well known engine rebuilder form Seattle.
    Attachment 443247Attachment 443252
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Normally, when I build an ST I like to use metal rear bumpers as well as front steel bumper but Nick wanted to use the rear fiberglass bumper he had for his ST so I did. It came out great! If you add flares it's just as much work getting the bumpers right as the flares. I like to flare the 72's as upgrades like aluminum trailing arms are a direct bolt on. Then add the big engine, brakes etc. But, I like all 72's. When you want an ST it's hard to get it out of your head until you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    On my car I used a steel S front bumper which required modification to work with the flares. For the rear bumper, I used a Getty Design fiberglass bumper (RSR, I think) which also required some work to perfectly match up with the flares. My choice was to use a steel front bumper as I prefer the durability of steel over fiberglass up front where driveways and speed bumps can ruin your day. I used a one piece fiberglass rear bumper as I preferred the aesthetics of that look. That's why ST's are great; start looking at photos of ST's in the 70's and you will see that no two are exactly alike as the privateer racing teams used a variety of bumpers, fenders & hoods (fiberglass and steel), wheels etc. Lots of freedom to build a car to you liking and still be "correct," whatever that means....
    72S, 72T now ST

Another Take . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    . . . would appreciate hearing thoughts/opinions on what 'added value' (if any) the 72 model year with it's right side oil door would be vs. a 70, 71 or 73 T . . .

. . . Car is a non-sunroof car which is a positive for build goal . . .

. . . what about a '72 w/ M471? --- aka 'lightweight' . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...cial-Sport-73S

. . . prolly as rare a car as Porsche ever built . . .

. . . + no flairs

PS: 'MC' = Monaco

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks guys for your continued thoughts and suggestions. At this very moment....but still SO much time available to change my mind - is perhaps to keep the stock fenders as this is a really straight and unrusted example with original sheetmetal.

I've built a bunch of '72 hot rods. My philosophy is that if the car still has its original englne, everything you do should be reversible.

Lucky for me, I've found a couple '72 rollers missing engines (that was back when $15K or less would buy a roller) and dropped in 3.2s, which to my mind are the perfect power balance for the chassis. The most recent '72/3.2s I'v built, I've left narrow. Matter of personal taste.

This particular donor car was a Sepia Sportomatic with missng drivetrain. Became a Beige Gray with 3.2 Motronic/915.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I would stay narrow as well using the red 'M471' 2.4S as a template.
    Last edited by steve shea; 12-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I've built a bunch of '72 hot rods. My philosophy is that if the car still has its original englne, everything you do should be reversible.

Lucky for me, I've found a couple '72 rollers missing engines (that was back when $15K or less would buy a roller) and dropped in 3.2s, which to my mind are the perfect power balance for the chassis. The most recent '72/3.2s I'v built, I've left narrow. Matter of personal taste.

This particular donor car was a Sepia Sportomatic with missng drivetrain. Became a Beige Gray with 3.2 Motronic/915.
    Yeah...that's the ticket....although the 3.2 is more drivable , if you had the budget it would be more classic with a 2.7 mfi twin plug.

That certainly matters and would be a big factor in staying narrow body.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Thanks guys for your continued thoughts and suggestions. At this very moment....but still SO much time available to change my mind - is perhaps to keep the stock fenders as this is a really straight and unrusted example with original sheetmetal.
    72S, 72T now ST

Might as well go 2.8 twin plug! I have one I'm building now. I'll start a thread soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelaiellosr View Post
    Yeah...that's the ticket....although the 3.2 is more drivable , if you had the budget it would be more classic with a 2.7 mfi twin plug.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post

I couldn’t agree more! Keep it narrow bodied for that stealthy understated classic look. That’s why I just couldn’t resist buying this gem. Car is just finishing up having the fuel delivery system converted to EFI/ITB’s by Al Kosmal. Can’t wait to take delivery right before Christmas. What a great present to myself! Came with full S trim and still has original sport seats.
    Name:  AC708CA2-1913-4BBB-AFED-49C84E490D2C.jpeg
Views: 262
Size:  169.6 KB
    70 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green) - SOLD
    74 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
    73 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)