Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 T as a hot rod candidate...looking for opinions please

Regardless of where you get the flairs it takes a lot of work during the installation to make them right. Trimming, shaping adding the channel to hold the rubber in the right spot etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Thank you guys for your continued ideas and support. She is safely in my garage now. If I do pull the trigger on fender flairs, I would appreciate hearing who makes the best quality? Thanks!
    72S, 72T now ST

I had much the same angst when deciding what to do with my 72. I can't disagree with any of the previous comments, although there is something to be said about the artful simplicity of a narrow car... not the least of which is the added cost of flares. Ultimately, among the other negatives, I think it was the thought of having to use fiberglass....the difficulty of finding factory parts.... for the front and rear bumpers that turned me off the ST RS build. My hot rod instincts were confined to an SC suspension and a 2.7 twin plug mfi motor, 7 " rear Fuchs and a sport muffler.

I went back and forth on whether to build a narrow body “sleeper” or ST inspired wide body from my 72T. I think that because I also own a stock 73S the decision to go wide was a bit easier. I understand the appeal of both though. If it matters, I believe the decision to add flares, wider bumpers, oil coolers, wider wheels and tires added about $10K to the cost of my build. I’d do it again as I love the shape of the ST flares streched over the 8 & 9 X 15 Fuchs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I went back and forth on whether to build a narrow body “sleeper” or ST inspired wide body from my 72T. I think that because I also own a stock 73S the decision to go wide was a bit easier. I understand the appeal of both though. If it matters, I believe the decision to add flares, wider bumpers, oil coolers, wider wheels and tires added about $10K to the cost of my build. I’d do it again as I love the shape of the ST flares streched over the 8 & 9 X 15 Fuchs.
    Just awesome!

ST is the way to go on a 72T!
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

all this ST talk got me thinking...

So basically you install ST front and rear fender extensions.

Would that affect stock front and rear bumper fitment? or do you need to buy wider front and rear bumpers?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Yes --front and back bumpers will have to be modified to meet the new flairs correctly.that will take tallent. John Esposito in North Hollywood, CA can do it, but I do not know if he is too busy right now or not. I would copy the 1972 ST 2.5 the factory did with the sQuare holes in the front spoiler. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

On my car I used a steel S front bumper which required modification to work with the flares. For the rear bumper, I used a Getty Design fiberglass bumper (RSR, I think) which also required some work to perfectly match up with the flares. My choice was to use a steel front bumper as I prefer the durability of steel over fiberglass up front where driveways and speed bumps can ruin your day. I used a one piece fiberglass rear bumper as I preferred the aesthetics of that look. That's why ST's are great; start looking at photos of ST's in the 70's and you will see that no two are exactly alike as the privateer racing teams used a variety of bumpers, fenders & hoods (fiberglass and steel), wheels etc. Lots of freedom to build a car to you liking and still be "correct," whatever that means....
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

You can always go R inspired narrow...I did with my 72.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve

Mac, here's my 72 T in Lone Pine CA on the Targa California and my seats. When I bought it, it came with a 1977 engine rebuilt by Paul Weir (RIP), a well known engine rebuilder form Seattle.
    Name:  Daisy Lone Pine 1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  104.8 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_bd5.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  103.3 KB
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

I have a 72 and apart from a drivers seat and Momo steering wheel it is stock and shall remain that way as its so straight and rust free.
    Name:  IMG_2705.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  175.0 KB

That aside, I am on the "look" for a clone and have always thought that what I would like was a 'narrow' R however upon reflection for the usage i want a clone for is for a more "track" orientated car and the ST with its wide "Mastiff" stance has become the logical choice for me.

I just think we are very lucky to be able to choose what we personally want and build it to suit or buy what someone has pained over previously.
    What ever I am sure you Mac will achieve your desired outcome.
    Mark