Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 72 T as a hot rod candidate...looking for opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    is
    Thanks again for offering your thoughts of why the ST option has merit. So, if I decide to do that, a few question: Who supplies the correct ST flares (would only want steel), and once installed, will they still transition to the stock front and rear bumpers or will those need reworking? Also, with the ST flares, what would the best FUCHS wheel choice be - 15s or 16s and what widths - that will look aggressive and fill the larger flairs, but not so wide as to cause any interference problems. Thank you.
    Restoration Design supply the steel ST flares.
    You would need front and rear bumpers. most likely fiberglass would be best. Lightweight and can be bought to fit the flares. Like most ST porsches no bumper was supposedly ever alike.

For wheels you will want the 8x15 and 9x15. Although some folks are claiming 9' and 11' will work too.
    Im in same boat. Looking to see where i can get the correct offsets and sizes.

Perhaps somebody can chime in and let us know what should be used for suspension?

Wheel and tire is important. It can make or break to project.
    I would run the vintage Michelin tires or Avon tires. Keep it period correct for the authentic look.

Perhaps somebody can chime in and suggest suspension options?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

If you look at the ultimate ST thread you'll see my 71. I run Hoosier 225/50/15 and 245/45/15 . The new TD-R is a great option as it is a biased tire on R7 compound.

Wheels are 15x8 15x9 Fuchs from 71/72. Suspension at the time was Bilstein or Koni..not sure if spindle raising was common?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fubawu; 12-10-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Scott Longballa was the man who recommended the suspension set up on my ST. Scott has built a handful of hot-rods and has great experience in knowing what works well. I drove his signal yellow ST at an R Gruppe Treffen and was extremely impressed with the handling on his car. He built my suspension exactly like his car; here’s what we did:

-Aluminum rear trailing arms, inner monoball bearings

-21/28 mm F/R torsion bars

-18 mm F/R sway bars

-Rubber bushings/bearings , rubber tranny/motor mounts

-Bilstein front struts and rear shocks (can’t recall if they are HD or sport)

-Original ATE alloy S brakes F/R

-8&9 x 15” Fuchs. Michelin TB 15 tyres F 18/60 R 15 (215/55), R 23/62 R 15 (270/45)

-corner balanced and some fine tuning of ride height etc.

Honestly, the suspension is sublime in my opinion. My son and I had the car on Thunderhill (the west track) and it was terrific. Since finishing the car we’ve put about 4700 miles on it and we are very happy with the handling. As far as I’m concerned the handling is truly the highlight of my car. It’s very grippy, the tires are amazing. They won’t last long and they are expensive, but this is a fun car so who cares. Scott does not “over-bar” the car with kidney rattling T-bars and the use of rubber bushings and bearings ensure a compliant ride that provides miles of smiles. Photo from Thunderhill with my wife Adele riding shotgun
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    You will need to modify the front and rear steel bumpers (or go to aftermarket FG) to match ST flares. Lots of choices with wheels for an ST: 8 & 9x15 Fuchs, 7 & 8x16 Fuchs, or go to a 9" wide rear Superlite.
    Two different posters are offering RSR finished wheels currently on the forum but at significant cost differences - with the 8X15 and 9X15 70s dated wheels and a different poster has a set of 8X16 and 9X16 with later/current dates.) This leads me to ask if the '16' inch wheels would also be a good choice (I ask because you recommend the smaller 7&8" set in the 16s) if I decide to go for the ST flairs on my 72. It seems too that there are most choices in 16 inch tire offerings. So....would I just be chasing 'date codes' with the 15 inch wheels or am I missing something else? Thank you!

Two different posters are offering RSR finished wheels currently on the forum but at significant cost differences - with the 8X15 and 9X15 70s dated wheels and a different poster has a set of 8X16 and 9X16 with later/current dates.) This leads me to ask if the '16' inch wheels would also be a good choice (I ask because you recommend the smaller 7&8" set in the 16s) if I decide to go for the ST flairs on my 72. It seems too that there are most choices in 16 inch tire offerings. So....would I just be chasing 'date codes' with the 15 inch wheels or am I missing something else? Thank you!
    IMO, 9x16 Fuchs just don't look right on an ST, even when refinished in an old style. 17s don't look right either (sorry Singer). You can have Weidman refinish 7 & 8 x16s to look very much like vintage wheels. 8 & 9 x15 still look best though - either vintage or recent factory production... date codes are for collectors.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    IMO, 9x16 Fuchs just don't look right on an ST, even when refinished in an old style. 17s don't look right either (sorry Singer). You can have Weidman refinish 7 & 8 x16s to look very much like vintage wheels. 8 & 9 x15 still look best though - either vintage or recent factory production... date codes are for collectors.
    I appreciate your reply. The stunning set of 15 RSR finish wheels offered currently on the forum was at $13K and I think now a reduced price ( if I recall correctly) is at $9K. Would love to buy the set, but wow...that seems like crazy money if that is indeed the market price today

Rear RSR wheels would be 11 inches wide and are very expensive. If you go ST you'd want 9 inch wheels in the rear. PM for my cell number and I'll go over this stuff with you. -Scott
    I appreciate your reply. The stunning set of 15 RSR finish wheels offered currently on the forum was at $13K and I think now a reduced price ( if I recall correctly) is at $9K. Would love to buy the set, but wow...that seems like crazy money if that is indeed the market price today
    72S, 72T now ST

If you are not worried about a date stamp you can get brand new 15 x 9 wheels from Porsche, around $1600 each I believe. 15 x 8s are readily available very reasonable. Just my 2 cents: if you are going through the time and money involved in a project like this the proper size wheels and the correct flares are the most important thing to get right. I do not know Longballa (above) but everything I have seen that he has touched has turned out awesome. I would take his advice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GT3Racerich View Post
    If you are not worried about a date stamp you can get brand new 15 x 9 wheels from Porsche, around $1600 each I believe. 15 x 8s are readily available very reasonable. Just my 2 cents: if you are going through the time and money involved in a project like this the proper size wheels and the correct flares are the most important thing to get right. I do not know Longballa (above) but everything I have seen that he has touched has turned out awesome. I would take his advice. Good luck.
    Thank you for the wheel information re buying new from Porsche, but I suspect they are not available in the 'frosted' finish I would want for this project. If I am correct, then they would need to be shipped somewhere and redone.

Thank you for the wheel information re buying new from Porsche, but I suspect they are not available in the 'frosted' finish I would want for this project. If I am correct, then they would need to be shipped somewhere and redone.
    Unless you can find a set that is exactly what you are looking for you will have to have them refinished anyway. Even if you found a pair that was what you are looking for I don't think that would be optimum. I would think you would want all four wheels refinished at the same time by the same person.