Thread: Rivets on door pocket hinges - source?

Rivets on door pocket hinges - source?

Hi all!

I am considering giving my door pockets a nice make-over and redo the vinyl.
    To properly do so I would have to remove the rivets of the plastic hinges (at least on the front pockets).
    I know that there are sets being offered from numerous distributors. But all of them use simple pop rivets instead of the original tubular ones.
    Does anyone know a source for replacement rivets that come at least halfway close to the originals?
    thx,
    Tom

--edit--
    I am not an expert on rivets but as much as I could find out yet the best matching rivets should be called "semi-tubular" and should be fitted in a "ring-rolling" way.
    Has anyone drilled-out the rivets yet and can give me the necessary dimensions?
    I'd guess the diameters should be something like head ~5/16" (7,94 mm), shaft ~5/32" (3,97 mm). Any confirmation on this?
    Last edited by tomster; 12-03-2017 at 01:34 AM.

I just tried the first set of rivets I found up on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/125-St-Ø-9mm-...E/182097776986
    They do have a 9mm head (though not completely flat), the base is ~7mm and they are somewhat black.
    The color does not match exactly - at least by judging from the left-over paint on the og rivets - and they slightly differ in the shape of the head, but they come pretty close.
    Anyway, much better than using those standard pop-rivets, IMHO.

Name:  IMG_20171211_133442.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_20171211_133520_1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  96.9 KB

BTW, I also found a set of glassfiber pockets on ebay's classifieds here in Germany:
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...17897-223-1125
    Though the seller only offers the folding pockets in the listing he also does the front map pockets.
    The below pictured set (L+R) was ~100€. Well worth a try to do the vinyl job by myself. Thank god a very good friend of mine does flock ;-)
    OK, it is not "the real thing", but neither are those aftermarket pocket sets being offered everywhere.
    Name:  IMG_20171211_135607.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  65.6 KBName:  IMG_20171211_135626.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  26.5 KB

Please post a photo of the fiberglass pockets after you get them covered with vinyl as this material makes much more sense to me than the original paper-board, as long as the end product looks good.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Wilco!
    Might take a little while though. I need to get more of the correct vinyl first.

Tom,

you know the gotoguy

Dirk,
    already talked to the gotoguy ;-)