Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blasphemy? Heretical? or what..... different finish for early S calipers

I love these subjective opinion arguments...nothing like data to make a statement stick. I don't ever plan on testing the fade resistance of my restored "S" binders but no doubt they look more sexy then the late iron calipers I am replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelaiellosr View Post
    I love these subjective opinion arguments...nothing like data to make a statement stick. I don't ever plan on testing the fade resistance of my restored "S" binders but no doubt they look more sexy then the late iron calipers I am replacing.
    Michael

No one can argue your point on the "look". If that is why you are replacing a superior caliper with an inferior one, I have no problem with that. Fade resistance is not the issue, either. Pure stopping power and pedal feel is the issue. I have years of hands on experience with both calipers and I choose to have ugly, heavy calipers on my car.

Regards

Jim

These are the "old" calipers that are being replaced by the new black S calipers.
    A set of freshly rebuilt (by PMB) A calipers that weigh literally a ton.
    I'll keep these on the shelf in case I change my mind about the S calipers....doubt it though.

Name:  20171207_160932.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  71.2 KB
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Doug, you are such a trouble maker

Quote Originally Posted by A914Man View Post
    Doug, you are such a trouble maker
    It's true....you are most correct.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Michael

No one can argue your point on the "look". If that is why you are replacing a superior caliper with an inferior one, I have no problem with that. Fade resistance is not the issue, either. Pure stopping power and pedal feel is the issue. I have years of hands on experience with both calipers and I choose to have ugly, heavy calipers on my car.

Regards

Jim
    I buy that

I'm not buying the flex. There are so many parts to a brake system. There is no way for someone to isolate "flex" in a caliper by foot feel. flex in the pedal, brake lines, mounting points, floor pan, ect. if flex was such an issue on aluminum parts, why are most modern suspension and brake parts made from it.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
    I'm not buying the flex. There are so many parts to a brake system. There is no way for someone to isolate "flex" in a caliper by foot feel. flex in the pedal, brake lines, mounting points, floor pan, ect. if flex was such an issue on aluminum parts, why are most modern suspension and brake parts made from it.
    I'm with ya 100% on not buying the flex.
    Like I said, I club raced S calipers for many years and never experienced any issues with flex, fade, etc.

Here's what they're gonna look like installed on a set of RSR struts.
    Stealthy...

Name:  20171209_150835.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  63.3 KBName:  20171209_150819.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  71.4 KBName:  20171209_150825.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  77.7 KB
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    I'm with ya 100% on not buying the flex.
    Like I said, I club raced S calipers for many years and never experienced any issues with flex, fade, etc.

Here's what they're gonna look like installed on a set of RSR struts.
    Stealthy...

Name:  20171209_150835.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  63.3 KBName:  20171209_150819.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  71.4 KBName:  20171209_150825.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  77.7 KB
    Doug

First off, I love your suspension/brake setup.
    So, you aren't buying the fact that those calipers flex?
    They do, and there is a very simple test to prove it. Jack up the front of your car. Remove one of the front wheels. Have a person apply the brakes while you have your hand over one of your S calipers. Those calipers flex a bunch!
    I'm guessing that your suspension is not back on the car yet, so maybe someone on this forum will perform this simple test for you and report their finding. Better yet, multiple people do it and lets get a larger sample size. The results will be 100% on the side of caliper flex. I don't think that it is any random coincidence that Porsche quit using S calipers at about the same time that they started boosting the brakes.

Regards

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 12-11-2017 at 06:17 AM.

I am of the opinion that there are two factors (maybe 3 as a consolation to Jim) all things being equal of course..... 1. stopping distance, 2. fade resistance and its effect on stopping distance after repeated stops and 3. feel, perhaps a subjective, that correlates to confidence. The undisputed fact that the alloys flex is incidental to the first two. I raced PCA in the 90's in a stock '77 2.7 with iron brakes. They worked and inspired confidence at Lime Rock, Mid Ohio, Bridgehampton, Pocono and Sebring...both long and short tracks. I have no racing experience with the S calipers.

The only way to determine the outcome of this so far civil discussion, not likely to happen, is a track test on the same car....actually 2 different cars. One being relatively light weight, say 2000lb and the other in the 2500 lb region. Obviously, the factory determined that there is a limit to just how much mass can be reliably supported by the relatively small S caliper.Name:  d assembly 2 (4).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  42.4 KB
    Last edited by michaelaiellosr; 12-12-2017 at 02:06 PM.