Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying Chassis Dashboard Production VIN Number Race Car

Lightbulb Help Identifying Chassis Dashboard Production VIN Number Race Car

Dear all,

I was away if the Porsche world for many years, but I need to drive a 911 again ( life is too short &#128514 !
    Actually this forum is richer in many way than most of the books you can buy .

To make it short ; I have been offered an interesting old Porsche .
    It has a proper Vin of a 1975 Carrera 2,7 MFI , a more modern Engine ,and I know that car was at least the last 20 years used as a Racecar ...
    My question here is specially about the Production number on the Dashboard :
    Number : 0090020 (?) no asterisks.
    I’ve read here trough the search about the Blank body like spare body etc...
    If someone can help me identifying the body I would be extremely thanksfull !

Thanks in advance
    David

David
    that "vin" is a spare body shell from 1979. In fact spare body shell #20 from 1979. A number of the low number shells were used to build up 935's (Joest has #0001, Kremer #0002, #0003, #0015, #0016, #0030, all K3's, and Canepa had #0029 which Starkey says was the last factory built 935.
    So it would appear that it was either built up as a race car then ( about 1980) or built later on a spare shell that someone had from the 1979 production run. The 1980 spare shells were numbered 000 0001 etc

if it also has a "proper" earlier vin that would have been stamped on or the panel grafted on (more likely) For replacement shells of road cars where the vin is a lot more important than a race car I understand the proper procedure was. To have both the replacement shell number in the front trunk stamping (it should be there as well as on the dash) as well as the vin number the shell replaced.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh ! Great info !
    But where not the 935 based on Turbo bodies or normal 911 ?
    How could I recognise if race shell or just replacement street car ?

My understanding is that all of the " body in white " shells were the same. They are the bare bones inner shells and modified with external panels for different configurations( and probably reinforced for competition purposes). So at least when they were made there was no difference. I would be happy to be corrected by anyone who knows different or has actually bought one back in the day. I am sure someone on the board has or knows someone who has.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I agree with Hugh. From 1969 into the 1980's there were coupe bodies, Targa bodies, Karmann coupe bodies, and 914/6 bodies for the most part. They did not distinguish between 911 or 912, nor for sunroof, nor the reinforced RS bodies.
    The odd thing is the two forms I have seen with 7 digit (normal) and 8 digit (not normal) production #'s.
    0090001 935 J 1979 body shell for Joest
    0090002 935 K3 Charles Ivey Racing
    0090005 935 K3 Racing Associates
    00900015 935 K3 Whittington Bros. Racing
    00900016 935 K3 Dick Barbour Racing

I would like to see actual photos of these numbers, and learn more about them.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

If I manage to put pics from my iPhone ...

CB406367-9C0B-4C93-A06D-CC87FD909C7F.jpg

Pic from underneath looks like Turbo configuration to me (?)

Thanks for the photos of the production #; it certainly has the correct format for a replacement body. Is the VIN location in the front trunk also stamped with this # or what does it have there?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

wasn`t this jack bracket a box rocker +87 to 89 car thing?
    never seen this on a 79 body before
    Attached Images Attached Images