Thread: Seeking Advice on the Hood Latch

Seeking Advice on the Hood Latch

Fellow Enthusiasts,

I am seeking the wisdom of the group with regard to my front hood latch. The short description of the problem is that, when the front hood is lowered, it catches on the first level (the same level as when you pull the cable inside the cabin), but will not fully close the hood on the second level/catch. (I can't figure out how I wold photograph the problem, so I hope the description is adequate.)

In other words, the hood latch closes partially, but does not fully compress the rubber seal.

Is there a common solution? Please share your wisdom, and 'thank you,' in advance.

Ran into this recently. I repeatedly adjusted the "nose" with the spring around it. To adjust it one needs to loosen its retaining colar just enough so the "nose" can be unscrewed to get enough depth for it to be grabbed by the latch assembly in the lower body.

It took several times for me to achieve the balance between the hood compressing the front seal enough, but so that the hood would stay latched going over rough roads.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

First thing you do is remove the upper post assembly, then put a 4mm punch in the hole in the bottom latch, next using a needle nose vice grip , and after loosening the cable locking screw, pull all the slack out of the cable, tighten screw. Now using that needle nose vice grip pull the release cable and clamp in the 'open' position. Next make sure you have the hood gaps EXACTLY where you want them, and the rubber bump stops adjusted to height you want, AND the hood seal is installed. Now put JUST the post in the upper latch, and move upper latch around until the post is exactly CENTERED in the lower latch socket. (hood won't latch because you have it locked in release position) When you are sure the pin centering is correct reinstall spring and cup in upper latch, leaving the pin screwed most of the way out. Now release your vice grip from the cable. Now comes the moment of truth,,,,shut the hood, it should latch ,,,but be high,,,,slowly adjust pin shorter until you get the latching against your previously adjusted bump stops. When building a car always leave the gas tank out until you complete this hood adjustment,,,,,,,just in case
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Great description Ed.
    Thanks

What Ed said<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Shift Knob Maker
    There should be a Ed Mayo section in the Tech area that has these kinds of post listed in.

Mark..

Ed Mayo is one of the scholars who provide so much intellectual capital to Early Esses members. I am also sending him a personal 'thank you.'

Ed Mayo is remarkable! His clear instructions have helped all of us, countless times.

-----> Thank you Ed! <-----

*** after thought on this topic: The dreaded hood is closed, the release handle won't release the latch. Whats the best way to release the hood in this situation? Reaching up underneath?<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Uh-oh,,,,was this before or after my instructions,,,, if the cable is releasing, but the hood isn't popping up, the cause is usually the pin wasn't centered in the socket. Lock cable in release position with vice grips, then attempt to move hood side to side, fore and after, to try get pin centered in socket so latch will release.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.