Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falling out with my 911 - How do you fix this ? ;-(

Falling out with my 911 - How do you fix this ? ;-(

I'm probably asking the wrong group but then again it's the perfect group: have you ever grown apart from your 911 temporarily ? If so how did you rekindle the flame ? ;-)

I've owned an aircooled 911 for 20 years, even branched into 356s and 912s, and watercooled ones. My latest one is a 72T, totally restored with perfect MFI...Mint. I live near pretty nice roads... And yet I've driven that car only maybe 10 times this year, 75% of that to go to EASY (even that is ending). Now before you break out the pitchforks, please understand I love 911s and some were my daily driver for years.

I just don't feel the urge to take this one out anymore and I can't figure out why precisely... Part of it might be my crappy commute lessens my desire to drive overall... Part of it is a parking situation where I need to move cars to get to it... Part of it I think is the fact that it's mint post resto and that affect my desire to risk it out there... A large part of it probably is the current run up in value, which seems to have taken the joy out of "risking it". That makes little sense because it is insured very well. Maybe it's the increase in parts/repair costs, but it's in tip top shape and unlikely to need much... It's like the bond was broken because I owned and loved many of those $15-25K 911s and modified the heck out of them, but now the value is in "stock" and it's tripled in value vs my purchase price (if not more) and I just don't feel like taking it out of its cocoon? I can't think of me not having an aircooled 911, kinda like losing a hand, and yet I don't drive it anymore... I've tried improvements, a new a windshield here, a new steering wheel wrap there, cool Fuchs finish, all to sort of trick myself, but meh. Happy to have it, yet it sits a lot...

I'm not tired of old cars.. I drive my BMW 2002 all the time, it's parked outside within easy reach, it's cheap, it's more practical with kids, I'm not worried about it... I also got an Alfa GTV and I drive that second most... I "could' take out the 911, all I need is to move *one* car out of the driveway, but most of the time I don't feel the urge. When I do, I obviously still like it, the way it drives and sounds, but something's changed and I "think" it's the value perception that broke me.. I can't get over it. I don't know how you "S" drivers do it...

I don't dare sell it either... I once sold my 356s for similar reasons, too restored, too nice, in addition too dangerous (invisible tail lights almost got me crushed a few times, vlad the impaler steering column), and I was OK with that....until 5y later when I wanted the idea of one in my garage, more than the actual driving... I fear the same would happen here. These days I feel more attracted by the "italian-ness" of the Alfa, the cuteness/practicality of the bimmer, when I break out the 911 I feel like I'm now showing off and risking my expensive classic... I have this chart of car price/car fun in my head, and while most cars I like have jumped that line, seems the 911 has polevaulted over it...

I have a modern faster car for speed and track. I have the 2 other oldies for the oldie itch... If I sell this car I'll never rationalize buying one again at current prices... I feel locked in the P-world just on my personal history, the amount of books and mags I collected. It's not a prison, it'd feel weird not having an aircooled car anymore. So I keep it... and barely drive it.... WTH is wrong with me ? Help ! Has this happened to you, how did you fix it ? (store it for a few years till you missed it? ;-)

Be kind, maybe I need prescription drugs ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I would recommend that you find a dirt road and follow a dump truck for some fresh stone chips. Once you have gotten by the resto thing you will be fine. That is if you like driving a 911. It's kind of like olives. Getting the first one out of the bottle is the toughest then the rest are no big deal. Look at Chuck's 73S sand blasted appearance in the front. When it gets like that who cares. It is a badge of honor. I cannot wait until mine gets like that. Which should not be too long because I live in WYO where chip seal is the road surface of choice.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Name:  911.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  108.7 KB

Stick that behind a gravel truck ? ;-0

I get it, I get it....
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

crikey. Youve summed up my feeling exactly! I also just dont know what to do with my 67s. Would I miss it? I dont know. I would like to try some other cars though. I ve got three old cars and just dont have enough time.The thought of moving them around to get one out is just something i cant be bothered to do!!!Have I fallen out of love? I'm just not sure...
    Name:  lem2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  126.7 KB

Yeah that's another good point. I'd like to try other cars. Namely a Pagoda to take the wife on week end trips... An alpine A 110 (long term obsession of mine)... But I'm not made of $, I can't justify purchasing a $100K car even if I can, I'd be right where I started in terms of not wanting to risk it, can't quite sell my car for fear I'll regret it... Stuck in a rut ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

yup, "stuck in a rut" basically sums it up!

Thumbs up

Greg,

Every once in a while I have that feeling about my '67 Malibu.....
    Mostly because if I can drive for fun... I'll always drive the 911......

In back of a gravel truck will do it......
    Or try'n to stay behind faster cars with BIGGER tires..........

Good luck with your anguish my friend.......

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I understand your dilemma, and felt similar. After a year where I was too busy this year to even get the car out. But in the late fall I decided to test myself and how i felt about the car by attending an event. I ended up driving 14 hours to a group run in the Carolinas. It was great ! A completely new group of Air Cooled enthusiasts, great people, and really well curated roads that made me fall in love with the 911 all over again.

Now i can't wait to get back in the car.

I think you have too much choice in cars. I think you have too good weather.
    I drive my RS as much as possible but it is generally, but not always, governed by the weather. That means on a sunny day I can’t wait to get out there and believe me there are precious few days like that here. Just look at your photo. I can only dream of blue skies like that.

Yes, definitely too much choice. You have it too good.

I would plan a vacation driving your 911 for a few days away. Go somewhere you like or have always wanted to visit. If you don’t enjoy that then you have definitely fallen out of love.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

My '70S is up for sale now. I'm like the OP - had aircooled P-Cars since the 90s (356, 912, SC,) but I just don't drive mine anymore so it sits in the garage. I had an '62 XKE that I personally conducted a nut and bolt restoration on and after a couple of years I sold it and cannot say I deeply regret it. I'm not a particularly sentimental guy and rarely look back on decisions I've made so since the car is not a Monet or a Le Mans Bentley I am sure I can always buy another one in the future unless they go through another price uptick.