Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Falling out with my 911 - How do you fix this ? ;-(

Go (drive) on Holiday with the Car if you wife is ok with that.
    We enjoy our old Cars also too seldom. Somewhat because most of them they are in some garage in a 15 km radius and not at home. But what really is fun is going on a holiday with them. Truly old fashioned with a map and mostly without a prebooked hotel. Just drive through the countryside and enjoy life. Stop whenever you drive by a nice Hotel and get some sleep and food - and repeat for a couple of days.
    But I am lucky as my wife is a carnut like me - so we are both enjoying that.

Uli

Greg,
    What leaps out from you OP are a few of blaringly obvious points.
    1, your car is in fantastic condition
    2, you subconsciously have parked it in a position to keep it that way
    3, you have alternative drivers that cover the 'bases' at this stage of your life.

The front of my 72T is Gemini Blue and was looking like Chucks and people continually commented on this. Not being one to appease the masses I weakened and had the front resprayed and BINGO, it now was too good looking to take out.
    Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months.
    Other than becoming very skilled at taking photos of my lovely shiny new front hood, the car just sat, lonely, sad and dejected under its warm soft fleecy car cover dripping the odd tear of Brad Penn on the garage floor.
    Winter turned to spring and I realised that I was not only torturing myself I was not being fair nor reasonable to my car.
    Out she came, into the warm morning light in all her glory, the smell of slightly stale benzine and the waft of oil cooking off her warming exhaust.
    Off we went, down to the bowser to fill the old girl up, hit the 180 degree and put the 'slipper' into it.
    Such a fool I had been,
    635km later we were back home,,,, with a couple of fresh stone chips ( our roads are continually under repair in New Zealand) and now I just dont care about them ( stone chips).
    THE LOVE WAS BACK.
    We dont fall out of love,,, We allow ourselves to,, and like anything we cherish we spend energy and time with them.
    My 2 C W
    Mark
    Last edited by NZVW; 12-14-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Go put some "patina" on it!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

+1
    They are beautiful cars for photos and polishing in your garage, but the real joy is in driving. Use the car as it was intended and ENJOY it. Life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Go put some "patina" on it!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4bc41a4c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

All good and considerate points... Thanks for not ganging up on me, I knew this site had mature and reasonable people ;-)

The other thing I guess is I've driven an early 911 for almost 1/2 my life... Kinda been there done that, got (a ton of) Tshirts ;-) I'm kinda feeling a pull to experience other brands. I rediscovered Alfa recently and feel more passion towards it at the moment (probably because it's new to me)... My wife expressed a desire to drive / ride 230/280SL top down on week ends, I'm cool with that even though it's a cruiser.. Always wanted an E9 CSi (i'm attracted to rust)... Yeah the dream A110 too... The 911 being worth more (and all cool cars too), sort of limits the possibilities at the same time it opens them up... It's the only one I could sell to afford another different cool car because it's worth more than my alfa and BMW combined. But then I'm never getting it back... On the flip side its worth makes it hard to wanna drive it behind a gravel truck too... At the very least you've inspired me to put some rock chips in it, so I'm taking it to work tomorrow, Hagerty says once in a while is acceptable to show it off - which is exactly the plan;-)

I still like it, I'm feeling a pull to own more and different cars before I'm too old to operate a clutch ;-) I guess it's all $$$....
    Last edited by Greg D.; 12-15-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

i think that a road trip is in order. You'll fall in love again and gain some patina at the same time. Best of luck with the best sort of quandry :-)
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

I have been daily driving my mint, mint, mint 67S for the last several months. The roads have been pretty icy in the morning but it just adds to the fun! Trust me, you will like your car more if you start living with it on a daily basis. These are wonderful cars!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Fantastic Greg, getting rid of the rust off the disc's wont hurt the car at all, neither will a few stone chips.
    Im really lucky, I have a wonderful close bunch of friend's and accumulatively own an amazing array of cars.
    I drove a 66 Masa Mistral last weekend (it wasnt much fun haha)
    Others have new and old stuff, Lambo's, mercs, Horses and even nissan gtr's
    All of them repeatedly want to drive the 72 911 and I am happy to accomodate as it gives me the 'change' and that is healthy.
    Im picking a mate's Aventador SV Roadster up late Jan, 1st into NZ as he cannot drive due to his scheduled Shoulder rotator cuff surgery. We are going to do some "bedding in' miles on it immediately,,, Oh the JOY of friends and I will post a shot or 3 then.
    Sell if you want,,, It is not a crime and from what you have posted I would say the possible purchaser is close at hand.
    Selling it to a mate is even better,,, you can always take it for a drive when you feel the "ITCH"
    I personally think that you will decide to keep it after taking it to work tomorrow.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Yeah that's another good point. I'd like to try other cars. Namely a Pagoda to take the wife on week end trips... An alpine A 110 (long term obsession of mine)... But I'm not made of $, I can't justify purchasing a $100K car even if I can, I'd be right where I started in terms of not wanting to risk it, can't quite sell my car for fear I'll regret it... Stuck in a rut ;-)
    A pagoda? Seriously? The worst excuse for a Sports Car that ever existed. Horribly complex and woefully under powered. The pedal box is hidden in a long tunnel that 2 reasonably normal shoes won't fit into.
    It is cute, though.
    Yes, I have hands on experience.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Greg,
    What leaps out from you OP are a few of blaringly obvious points.
    1, your car is in fantastic condition
    2, you subconsciously have parked it in a position to keep it that way
    3, you have alternative drivers that cover the 'bases' at this stage of your life.

The front of my 72T is Gemini Blue and was looking like Chucks and people continually commented on this. Not being one to appease the masses I weakened and had the front resprayed and BINGO, it now was too good looking to take out.
    Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months.
    Other than becoming very skilled at taking photos of my lovely shiny new front hood, the car just sat, lonely, sad and dejected under its warm soft fleecy car cover dripping the odd tear of Brad Penn on the garage floor.
    Winter turned to spring and I realised that I was not only torturing myself I was not being fair nor reasonable to my car.
    Out she came, into the warm morning light in all her glory, the smell of slightly stale benzine and the waft of oil cooking off her warming exhaust.
    Off we went, down to the bowser to fill the old girl up, hit the 180 degree and put the 'slipper' into it.
    Such a fool I had been,
    635km later we were back home,,,, with a couple of fresh stone chips ( our roads are continually under repair in New Zealand) and now I just dont care about them ( stone chips).
    THE LOVE WAS BACK.
    We dont fall out of love,,, We allow ourselves to,, and like anything we cherish we spend energy and time with them.
    My 2 C W
    Mark
    Post of the month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    No, post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!