Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Falling out with my 911 - How do you fix this ? ;-(

Greg, you're getting old. Admit it. You drive the Bimmer and Alfa because it's physically easier. They're handy...much less exertion required. Waaay easier to crawl into with that old, tired, bod. Comfortable upright seats, like a minivan's or the chairs at your kitchen table. (Well, maybe not that upright, but you get the idea.)

Ask me how I know these things. Am I embarrassed to admit it? Only a bit. Most everyone here will eventually feel the effects of age and will subconsciously (or consciously, following the denial stage) select their ride accordingly. In my shop, the '54 beetle tops the list for ease of ingress/egress. It's my first pick for driving on a full and bloated stomach.

You want to drive your 911 more? Sell the others. I'll take the 2002. Love the color.

Give the 911 to a friend, instruct him to put in a locked storage area, he is not to tell you where, and he is instructed to keep it from you for a year, no amount of pleading can break his oath, if after a year you want the car back then you will keep it and drive it daily, if after a year you've forgotten about it he is to sell it to the first low ball offer.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It's a common problem - between the kids and work and the wife and the other cars it is easier to just not drive the 911 than to get it out, or go to the warehouse and get it out, and drive it on a saturday morning for an hour. However, every time I make the effort, I come back excited to drive it again - and then it goes back on the trickle charger and the cycle starts all over again. I probably need to thin the herd down to just one fun car but even then I suspect the siren song of dependability, a/c, nav, 4 seats etc makes it just too easy to hop in the DD over the older cars. I agree with swcarroll - I tend to lean toward the "easy" rides. In my case its a 75 International. Hop, hop out, go anywhere and park anywhere. Come to think of it, I better drive the 911 tomorrow! Good luck.

Your 72T looks beautiful!

You have so many cars that the "queen" never sees the road. Squirrelled away like a prized nut.
    You need to take it out and use it more often. Make it more accessable and use it for running errands.
    I can understand why you wish to preserve it however.

Yes, it is a car you can park in your garage like a collectable art piece and never drive it. But they do not like to be parked and they belong on the road because they drive so well.

These cars will never go out of style, however you may lose interest after you scratch the itch like you already have for so many years.

They say that when you get out of your car after a drive and if do not look back at when you are walking away, it is time to move on and let the car go.

Do you look back at it after you drive it?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Got the same thing when I received my more modern 997 which gave me almost similar feelings driving a car but more care-free attitude, just got a Jeep for bad wheather and family (2 small kids) hauwler which is fun too. My solution is to take the early 911 out for long holidays weekend trips with my wife, South of France and Italy in our case, now when other cars add to the choice, each "eating" away what once was an unique driving experience with the early.
    These trips (and the occasional sunday run for coffee or evening blast) is hugely fun, its unique, I cant imagine it in another car. You need to drive the car to bond to it and adding a story, otherwise its just valuable metal you will once easy part with.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 12-15-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Lightbulb

It does happen. Nothing wrong with taking a break with your 911 (we often do it here in Europe during the winter months). Usually by the time Spring comes around, the love is back.

One option I'm considering, is to have a barn where you can store safely the things you own but don't use, when you aren't quite ready or willing to sell.

A sort of treasure chest for the future. At least you haven't sold it and it will be enjoyed by you later in life or for your heirs to discover.

Fortunately, there are worst things in life, and it's a huge privilege we should cherish and enjoy.

Not that long ago, at 35 you could purchase an early 911 for 30'000$ and a lot less for a 912. It was still accessible financially, not as a future investment, but to classic car newcomers. Today, I see several of my younger friends who truly love the early 911, and see them as we did 15 years ago, but no longer have the means to afford it.
    Last edited by Milou; 12-16-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Shift Knob Maker
    Ha, first post is almost verbatim of what I have been thinking and saying over the last several months. Well except the 2002 / Alfa parts. I even went so far as to have several discussions with a few on here about selling it. I justified it saying I would buy a 3.2 or 964, 993 and feel more inclined to driving them. However, even though I don't concours show it, I would miss the super clean underside and almost new aspects of my car. I know I can't afford the time or $ to build another so it sits under a cover, maybe will get driven more, maybe not.. I think I am okay with that, it is mine, I built it and I can drive it when I want or not....

I am building MGB GT with a GM V6 and modern this and that, going to try that as a daily..

In other words, I think it's okay if it sits and you only drive it once and awhile, it's not loosing money sitting and you still have it..

Mark..

I just don't feel the urge to take this one out anymore

I don't dare sell it either...

I have a modern faster car for speed and track.

Be kind, maybe I need prescription drugs ;-)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm
    Mark