Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a car these days

While the BaT peanut gallery may be comforting to uneducated buyers, I wouldn't use it as a source for vetting my purchase.

I do agree though that the "BaT effect" adds a premium above what something would sell in the wild, such as eBay or enthusiast sites like ours. This same thing is happening with watches (e.g. Hodinkee).
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Internet auto sales is always a buyer driven market. IMHO,well documented and well presented cars will reflect fair market values, the exception being the occasional blip we see when two well heeled buyers push an auction values above the norm.

I've made several long distance transactions, as buyer and seller of cars and parts. Technology is an amazing tool that can be employed in making a long distance deal comfortable for buyer and seller. Whenever I'm selling a rare or unique car or part, it's my routine to take a bunch of detail shots and videos, and freely provide photos or links. For me it's just part of the process, regardless if you are in the next town (not going to happen) or across the pond.

Whenever I sell anything, I do my best to show the good, bad, ugly, and great parts of a car or parts. Having been screwed enough to question my orientation, I have no desire to cheat anyone, and do my best to maintain a high standard of truth in selling. While I may not be the best deal, I want you to know exactly what you are getting.

I'm glad to see a site like BAT come along and challenge the top dog in online auctions. The "top dog" site has gotten too big, charges too much, and does little to protect buyer and seller. The fact that they are in bed with the top dog payment site, which has gone the same route, makes me less inclined to use either one.

There seem to be more Porsche cars offered for sale on BAT than were ever built by the factory.

Selling a Car These (or Any) Days . . .

. . . = Fantasy Junction . . .

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...liter%20flat-4
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ion-73-S-Targa

Simple, straight-forward, consistent product --- w/ proper disclosure, numbers (including prices) . . .

. . . + butt-loads o' pics --- top + bottom

We Can Be Heroes

Banned
    Riddle me this:

When a seller whose vocation is Porsche repair is marketing their own car, why do buyers expect a "free" PPI?

In other words, why do shoppers fully expect unlimited amounts of free info when they would never put this burden on a naive and unknowledgeable seller?

This mentality is truly breathtaking. If you want to know that much about the car at least offer to pay them for their services. Or better yet, have an independent PPI done.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Riddle me this:

When a seller whose vocation is Porsche repair is marketing their own car, why do buyers expect a "free" PPI?

In other words, why do shoppers fully expect unlimited amounts of free info when they would never put this burden on a naive and unknowledgeable seller?

This mentality is truly breathtaking. If you want to know that much about the car at least offer to pay them for their services. Or better yet, have an independent PPI done.
    When in doubt it's always a good idea to get a unrelated PPI, and the higher value the more important that becomes. A thorough PPI with leakdown & compression will run $450 and up, which could be the best money spent. Of course you have to be able to walk if it doesn't check out, and still pay the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Riddle me this:

Frank, I see two scenarios:

1) The buyer regards the seller/repairer as shady and/or incompetent and, from that, wisely pays for an independent PPI.

2) The buyer regards the seller/repairer as an honest expert and, from that, assumes the seller already knows his car well enough to freely offer the information associated with a PPI.

Perhaps a poor example, but if I'm buying a drill press from an estate sale, I would not expect the grieving daughter to know a darned thing about it. If I were buying a used drill press from a reputable machine shop, I'd expect the seller to freely give me an honest and accurate description of it. I'd be a bit perplexed if he said, "Sure, I'll tell you about it...that'll be twenty bucks."

Banned
    A drill press?

Ha!

Better example would be a house.

Why would a potential buyer want a PPI from the seller, even though it is Frank? Ain't that the fox guarding the chicken coop? No offense to Frank or any other seller.
    If they did any research, they could conclude that Frank is a man of his word and that should suffice. That said, get an independent PPI and pay what ever it costs.
    I know just how Frank feels, I get the same crap day in and day out. It ain't like it used to be and that is too bad. I can't wait to be fully retired.

Ciao

Jim

I buy and sell a couple of cars a year. For me I am buying the seller as much as the car, I almost never do a a PPI. On the seller side I get jerked around way more than I used to, I've learned get an immediate deposit as Frank specifies or talk to next guy in line.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658