Thread: Paint tag restoration ... is it possible take a look???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paint tag restoration ... is it possible take a look???

Hi guys can anyone let me know if this can be saved if so how? or who? . Any help much appreciated

thanks jonny

Jonny,
    I am not sure who would restore these but assuming you are looking to keep things original you should reuse the rivets. I am not sure how this is done but Ray Paterek did it for me because the replacements sold are different than the originals.

Good luck with the how/who, search and if you find the answer elsewhere, please come back and let us know.

- Chris

1969 Crystal Blue 911S
    1969 Coffee Brown 911T
    1988 Guards Red 930
    1973 Ravenna Green 914 2.0L
    and 11 others sold or in the wings.....

thanks for the reply my body man recomends to cut a slot in the front of the A post and tap them back through . If anyone
    knows of another way . please reply

thanks

Replacement plates are available if that suits your purposes:

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...67-p17583.html
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

See if you can restore the plate first, where it sits. If not then it seems kind of pointless to me to hack up a perfectly good 'A' pillar to save four nails that only 4 people on the planet can discern the difference anyway.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Wow...getting it off is the easy part!

I use a Dremel tool with their tiny cut off wheels and grind down the rivet heads low enough that they can be punched through.....careful not to get into the plate.

The rivets that Stoddard/NLA sell are so close it's a minor issue. I don't drive them...just a dab of JB Weld or other epoxy will secure the rivets.

Your plate has been sand blasted! Who the hell didn't mask it off??!!

Anyway, because the lettering is raised, you could probably polish them back including the two number fields.

I would then try, repeat try, to lightly spray in the black....air brush! Rattle can will be too heavy.

While paint is still fresh using a fine tip tool with thin cloth just damp with lacquer thinner over it wipe the raised areas clear.

I've done similar with other items with various relief profiles (center caps, etc.), but nothing this small or fine......

Just a suggestion, give it a try, but doubt it will approach an original....the blasting killed it.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

If you will show the car and be judged make sure the Stoddard rivets are acceptable to you before grinding off the old rivets. You never know what they will nick you for. Without a doubt you do not need to cut a slot. I think Ray pulled them out. Maybe he slid something behind it and pryed as well. However he did it there was no damage. You could call Paterek Bros in Chatham NJ and ask him how he removes them without destroying them.

1969 Crystal Blue 911S
    1969 Coffee Brown 911T
    1988 Guards Red 930
    1973 Ravenna Green 914 2.0L
    and 11 others sold or in the wings.....

I would try and refinish it in place. Take a razor blade and scape off the remaining body paint then take mineral spirits and very fine steel wool (0000) and try and get the remains black paint off and smooth the surface from the blasting. Then tape off the blank square and number area spray with correct black paint and let it completely dry, come back with some very fine sand paper and remove the black paint from the raised lettering and trim. Touch up with a very fine paint brush if needed.
    Last edited by mfitton; 12-18-2017 at 05:00 AM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I'm working on a car that had the plate removed before I got it. The plate is so beat up it can't be used. Is there a proper punch set for punching a replacement plate? Or is there some one out there who does this service?
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Check with International Mercantile. They have a set. One stop shoppin' for these plates as the do it all.
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford