Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Early 63-73 literature collection. Standard reference book. Suggestions/help/contact

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    the editor of the 000 magazine might be of help--Pete Stout. there web site is 000magazine.com. Chris
    PM sent to Karim. Not sure it's the right time as we are still building 000, but I sure love the idea contemplated and would love to help any way we can.

Thanks, Chris!

not wanting to hi jack the thread too much I think what Pete has done with 000 is fantastic - i just got the 4th one for 2017 a couple of weeks ago and have signed up for 2018 - the quality and attention to detail is exactly the sort of thing that is needed for this project. the TAG guys are also excellent ( RS book R book etc) and relatively local to Karim. But whoever can be engaged to do such a project I would be a buyer of the final product as well

on the online (free) v book comments I think Karim's comments were spot on
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Many thx. Pm replied.
    Thx also to Jerry/typ901’s pm: we for shure need your items to be included.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 06-16-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    I am shure if someone has the choice to pay 50 bucks to have everything in a book
    Printing costs alone will far exceed this amount.

Karim are you in contact with the guys from Zwischengas?
    They have recently added Auto Motor Sport in digital form to their services - perhaps they would be of help too in supplying stuff.

Otherwise I have Auto Motor Sport from 50 to 90 but they are in bound in harcdover in 1-3 books per year - making scanning something between hard and bad.

+1 for contacting Christoph Mäder from tag motorbooks - I spoke to him @ strähle swap and he seemed to be a guy woth working with.

Cheers
    Uli

Thx Uai

Magazines might be complicated as they are lot and we might focuse on Porsche factory stuff only.
    Thx for Tag Motorbooks, we look into it.
    I feel we need to publish in english for shure, plus, any item needs to be fully documented w all pages.
    In all years. In all categories. So finding a publisher to do this and accepting the invested risk.
    Registry member No.773

I am with you regarding the Magazines that's too much volume - but the one or other significant article could not be wrong.
    How about the Museum/Archive as publisher themselves?
    They published 911 x 911 and more. That means no risk in regards to Copyrights too.
    Your contact [edit ]was[/edit] Dieter Landenberger
    Cheers
    Uli
    Last edited by uai; 01-18-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Didn’t Dieter leave the Archives recently?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This may not be what you want to hear, but I have strong opinions about this. I came from the vintage VW bus world and thesamba.com offers anything you would ever want to know about VWs. Full scans of all literature: owners manuals, Dealer information, etc etc etc. All for FREE. That site is single-handedly responsble (in my opinion) for the ascention of vintage VWs in the market place, and more importantly, for the quality of old cars on the road by helping dreamers, drivers, owners, and restorers. I was (and continue to be) incredibly disappointed when I entered the Porsche world where none of this information is readily available.

If you care about the hobby, and care about the cars, put it online and start a database for all of this information for free. If you care about showing off and taking credit, then put it in a book that will be picked apart and soon be outdated. A digital library will always beat a book. As soon as you print something, you'll find errors or additions. Digital is a living archive that grows and grows. It may not seem like it now, but keeping information behind a walled garden kills interest. There is a reason this forum is "free" to use without membership.
    Been thinking about this ever since reading it yesterday—so I want to say thank you for that. Always good to be challenged by a different perspective. And, initially, I loved the egalitarian sentiment and clearly good motive seen in your post. Like you, I have been amazed by thesamba.com. Yet I'm not sure I can agree with the above. One reason—the "permanence" of websites—is well stated by others. Photo bucket is one example, 914world.com another. The latter is an outgrowth of a once very cool site called 914club.com. A lot of people contributed a lot of info to 914club.com, but those who controlled and/or owned it fell into an argument and things went south quickly. The site disappeared for a while, leaving hundreds if not thousands of contributors scratching their heads. Thanks to a remarkably selfless guy named Andy, 914world.com is a far better resource than 914club.com ever was, but there was a big gap until Andy and some others stepped up to fill it. And there's no guarantee that a sliver of the hobby will benefit from a guy like Andy. Of course, it doesn't take an internal argument or someone just getting tired of hosting a bunch of freeloaders. Corporations can choose to flex their muscles re: copyright or IP or trademark. It happened with 993c4s.com, cayman club.net or .com, and so many others. Some site owners may choose to rename or fight, but there's no guarantee they won't just fold up.

When I look at print, it has to evolve but there are things I really like about creating a permanent document that is beautiful and fun to interact with, and made well enough to be worthy of saving. And if one can include valuable information in it, and then print thousands of copies and send them to all points around the globe? That creates a different level of permanence. Is 000 perfect? No. But we are working with that as a goal in a way I never have before, with 5-15 people—many of them experts—proofing everything we print.

As for the end result of thesamba.com (helping the hobby and increasing values), I am not sure everyone will agree that $100,000+ Type IIs are great for the hobby. A similar argument can be made over here in early 911 land, with similar blame or praise assigned to any number of outlets and individuals, but I've always had a hard time assigning credit or blame to any one "influencer." I have to wonder if the cars themselves aren't the root? Whatever we do after might be a factor, but I am not sure it's the root. As for the freeware on thesamba.com, I am always amazed (and thankful!) for great storytellers who give freely of their work—whether online or otherwise. The trouble I have is when it is expected, or when value is not assigned to the work of storytellers (textual or visual) who get very, very good at what they are gifted at by taking the risk to do it as a vocation. And that risk is very real. Skill and competence are a matter of gift + muscle memory, in varying ratios. Gladwell is probably right that it takes something like 10,000 hours to become competent at something—and that you either have to have someone sponsor you to do it full time or figure out a way to make it a job. That's why a lot of truly gifted musicians are so-so amateurs (or are doing something else) and why many who are gifted drivers will never become Vic Elford or Patrick Long. My concern is that, in a world where storytelling is increasingly devalued in terms of $$$, we will lose our storytellers. A good one I know is now driving a UPS truck. Storytelling is part of who we are as a society. Ditto for historians, and assemblers of facts.

Anyway, all this submitted very respectfully. Thanks for prodding me to step back and think about it, as I can tell you I didn't like the pricing of 000 when I modeled it out in the business plan and occasionally feel like a vulture when I have to tell someone it's a $250 (or $999) subscription. But I know what it costs to produce, and let me assure you...it's a bargain for the end user. And there's something more: The kind of history it is uncovering just hasn't been uncovered. This adventure is the only way I know how to create a path to more of it before it's gone. And the real goal is to build new muscle memory so we can get better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    not wanting to hi jack the thread too much I think what Pete has done with 000 is fantastic - i just got the 4th one for 2017 a couple of weeks ago and have signed up for 2018 - the quality and attention to detail is exactly the sort of thing that is needed for this project. the TAG guys are also excellent ( RS book R book etc) and relatively local to Karim. But whoever can be engaged to do such a project I would be a buyer of the final product as well

on the online (free) v book comments I think Karim's comments were spot on
    Many thanks, Hugh! Agree on TAG guys—they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by s2guy View Post
    Didn’t Dieter leave the Archives recently?
    Yes, he did. Now the head of the Volkswagen Archive, a bit leap and one that may benefit all of us—and the automobile—in the long run. His replacement, Frank Jung, is apparently a very good guy who knows he has big shoes to fill!

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    Frank Jung, is apparently a very good guy who knows he has big shoes to fill!
    Is this the Reutter/Recaro Frank Jung?

Thanks
    Uli