Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Gurney is dead

Dan Gurney is dead

Dan Gurney died today at age 86. ..............I cannot find the words to express and sum up the sense of loss.

Pioneer, hero, role model, master racer, innovator, motivator, constructor, a man of impeccable character and an inspiration on every imaginable level, not to mention - a towering part of many an older 'car guy's' life since the early '50s when he burst onto the scene as the ultimate thinking man's driver....... is gone.

Allow me to post a few photos of one of the giants of motorsports - all taken at the 2010 Monterey Historics, where I was fortunate enough to chat with him for a fe minutes, get an autograph, and had a friend take a photo of he & I shaking hands, as well as a few images of a tiny smattering of some of the cars he created and some he drove to glorious victories, which were featured as a special exhibit in the pits that year in his honor.

Rest in Peace, Dan.

John Z. Goriup
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Earlier today, before learning of Dan's passing, I was watching a show that was discussing the "Gurney bubble" on his LeMans winning GT40:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...urneys-bubbly/

Last edited by BrentF; 01-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Sad news. Certainly one of America's racing heroes. I always enjoyed listening to him talk about racing. September 1963 Bridgehampton 500 was probably my favorite race, driving one of Shelby's 289 cobras. Gurney and Shelby teamed up to win the first FIA race with an American driver in an American car.

Years ago, I visited the AAR shop in Santa Ana with a goal in mind. I wanted Dan to sign one of my Strenger Porsche prints. I had something neat to trade. I brought one of my posters from the inaugural California 500 race at OMS. It worked out well. Dan said "I don't have one of those!" (Dan had started 2nd in this race but finished 18th), and gladly took it in trade for an autograph. A truly nice guy. RIP Mr. Gurney.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

A VERY sad day........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

A legend has passed. He will be missed. Seemingly always with time to answer questions, loved the sport.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

sad to hear another icon has passed away. Dan Gurney still is the man who won the only F1 race for Porsche as a constructor. Another victory in the Porsche 804 at the Solituda race july 15th 1962, but that was a non-championship race.
    Rest in peace Dan

here's a short biography of Dan Gurney

Sad!!! Another Great racer Passes On!

My friend and former editor Charles Cooper, who I wrote about in Excellence Magazine several years back photographed Gurney in a McLaren-Cosworth in 1970.
    Truly a one of a kind racing genius who will be greatly missed.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

My Dan story. At Watkins Glen a very many years ago during a qualifying session, I sat on a window sill in the old pits with Dan when he and Denny Hulme were driving the McClaren Can Am cars. I had been allowed in the pits with a press pass and I had a connection to Dan that I wanted to ask him about. The connection was through a mechanic on the Porsche F1 team from whom I bought my first car in West Germany in 1967, a 62 Super 90 that he owned. Dan remembered his name and we talked briefly. After a few minutes Swede Savage , Dan's protégé at the time, came by and sat down sat on a bench in front of us. I asked if he wanted privacy and he said no. They discussed an upcoming ride where Swede would replace Dan in a Trans Am car if memory serves correctly. After Swede departed Dan started to get ready to drive and said off the cuff "That guy is going to be the best US driver ever .....if he lives". Well...

I was struck with just how genuinely congenial he was, unassuming and very interested in my story and how I came to acquire the car, the details of me being in Germany... that kind of stuff. You just knew he was a regular guy. His passing makes for a very sad day indeed.