Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70 S shroud repair

Quote Originally Posted by X-Faktory View Post
    Lars,
    I've had good results with wet-sanding, followed by rubbing compound...followed by some satin-clear. Retains the original gel-coat/color...
    Al, I have had the same good experience with rejuvenating shrouds by wet-sanding and clear coat. As I repaired this one ...adding fiberglass, I need a good replacement paint color. I have been referred to Chevy orange engine paint. Seems a bit too orange...for my eye. Anybody have a close match suggestion for a 2.2 S color?

Thanks in advance.

Speedo
    Last edited by speedo; 02-09-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    registry# 1283

Starting to like resin...

Finishing up the 70 S shroud repair. Major repairs required fabricating a mold while the underside repairs (primarily for strengthening) did not. Anyway, I am gaining experience, and the old shroud will be proud once again. In the meantime I have been experimenting with some side projects. This one came out well and requires no explanation.

Still could use some rattle-can direction on a redder color than Chevy Engine Orange....if you are embarrassed, just PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    registry# 1283

Shroud color

I guess we are going with Chevy Orange.
    It can always be re-painted.
    Second rainshield is birthed.
    A suggestion was made to vacuum bag the fiberglass in the mold...I'm pleased with the current result. And as I am not going into production...why make simple things more complicated.
    registry# 1283

Shroud repair continues

Almost ready for paint. Al the structural repairs (major and minor) are done and I am doing cosmetic work.
    registry# 1283

Meanwhile back at the fiberglass ranch...

I cleaned up the second pair of rainshields...these got better as I gained experience. First set replaced the steel rainshields on the racecar. Second lighter set are going on my upcoming mid-engined project on top of Weber 46s.
    registry# 1283

Adventures in fiberglass...

Yeah I am done for a while. Interesting diversion, but I got carried away. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it, and have some fun experimenting with the rain shields at the same time. Here is how the repairs ended up. I'm more than pleased. A lot better than what I was given to work with. The grey air duct will be riveted back to the shroud shortly. Back to sheet metal and fabrication.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Looks very nice! Amazing what can be accomplished with a little creativity.

Thank you.