Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear sway bar install.

Rear sway bar install.

Can anyone help?
    I have a 1967 swb 911 and would like to fit a rear sway bar.
    The problem I have, is knowing exactly where on the trailing arms to drill to fit the ball pins.
    I know one method, which is to set/fit up the sway bar and then take measurements with drop links fitted.

My trailing arms are off the car and the rest of the car is under restoration.
    So, I would like to do this trailing arm/ball pin mod on the bench.

Is there anyone who has a drawing/sketch with measurements of where these holes need to be drilled.
    I assuming years ago, the holes for the pins would have all be drilled in the same place????
    Maybe, Porsche at the time, would have had a standard set of reference points to go by?
    Regards,
    Jim.

I have never seen any dimensions given for that, by Porsche or anyone else. A search here should reveal a series of photos I posted here years ago on doing that very job, however it was done on the car. There may be a very slight dimple on the trailing arm brace where the hole would be drilled, but you also need to get the angle of the ball stud correct, plus it is also welded into the tubular part of the trailing arm to properly brace it. Plus you're also going to need to get the attachment brackets welded to the body at the proper place and angle. I'd advise to wait and do it on an assembled car.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed's excellent tutorial is in this thread.

If you are reluctant to murder your trailing arms, which is understandable, send them to Elephant Racing and they will put the pins in for you, powdercoat, and rebuild your arms with new bushings & bearings. Not cheap, but this is what they do just about everyday of the week. Of course, the Ed Mayo tutorial is very good too! Used trailing arms are what, maybe $500.00 a piece for swb? I went thru this exact exercise a couple of years ago...it hurts.Name:  WP_20170518_11_40_58_Pro.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  WP_20170518_11_41_04_Pro.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  WP_20170518_11_41_17_Pro.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  WP_20170518_11_41_23_Pro 1.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  74.4 KB
    Last edited by 1968DT; 01-17-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added pics
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

I guess it would be pure luck to find 67 0r 68 original 911S trailing arms available to just swap out with the normal arms. Like trying to find sport seat rail sliders; took me 7 years to find one set. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Sway bar install.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I have never seen any dimensions given for that, by Porsche or anyone else. A search here should reveal a series of photos I posted here years ago on doing that very job, however it was done on the car. There may be a very slight dimple on the trailing arm brace where the hole would be drilled, but you also need to get the angle of the ball stud correct, plus it is also welded into the tubular part of the trailing arm to properly brace it. Plus you're also going to need to get the attachment brackets welded to the body at the proper place and angle. I'd advise to wait and do it on an assembled car.
    Ed,
    Thank you for your reply regarding the sway bar install.
    Two questions:-
    1. Are you talking about drilling the trailing arms free hanging,(on a car lift), or sat on the floor with the engine in?
    2. The images that you posted showing how to install the sway bar. If other people have done the same trailing arm mod then, would it be feasible to copy the ballpin positions or are we looking at differing bracket heights etc?
    Regards,
    Jim.

Those pictures, and the installation was done on a frame lift,ie. the suspension was hanging.

I'm sure that if you had some finished arms to copy that you could transfer the measurements and go with that. I didn't know Elephant was doing them, I'd recommend giving the job to them since your arms are already off the car.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I did this recently on my 67 912, bought the ball pins for welding and brackets from Pelican. I was so fortunate that a friend of mine had one arm with an original (I think..) ARB ball pin. I copied this on my arm and tried to get the other side at same height. I bored holes that were some bigger so I could adjust before welding.

It is not easy to find out exactly position on the ball pins because the lack of radial reference points on the arms. But I can measure and take picture of mine if it would be of any help?

Btw, I have not yet put these on my car so do not know if they is correct.
    '67 911S Sunroof, Polo Red(Project disguised as a G-model)
    '67 912 Sunroof, Light Ivory(Alive and kickin')
    '67 912 SWTarga, Signal Red(Project in the making)
    X: 67 911 Coupe + 67S Targa, 912, 924, 944, 928, 356

Sway bar mod.

Quote Originally Posted by 91167coupe View Post
    I did this recently on my 67 912, bought the ball pins for welding and brackets from Pelican. I was so fortunate that a friend of mine had one arm with an original (I think..) ARB ball pin. I copied this on my arm and tried to get the other side at same height. I bored holes that were some bigger so I could adjust before welding.

It is not easy to find out exactly position on the ball pins because the lack of radial reference points on the arms. But I can measure and take picture of mine if it would be of any help?

Btw, I have not yet put these on my car so do not know if they is correct.
    Dear Sir.
    If you could possibly take a couple of images/measurements that would be great.
    I have attached images of the measurements I am looking for.
    I have the original Porsche measurements of where to drill the trailing arm to fit the pins, but your right,
    without radial reference points it is a bit of guesswork.
    Name:  T01.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  208.2 KBName:  T00.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  90.7 KB
    Regards,
    Jim.

Will try to take some pictures tomorrow!
    '67 911S Sunroof, Polo Red(Project disguised as a G-model)
    '67 912 Sunroof, Light Ivory(Alive and kickin')
    '67 912 SWTarga, Signal Red(Project in the making)
    X: 67 911 Coupe + 67S Targa, 912, 924, 944, 928, 356