Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI jewelry courtesy of Matt Blast

MFI jewelry courtesy of Matt Blast

These are 69S throttle bodies and stacks that we are using for a 2.7 RS build. Simply perfection. Matt does amazing work.

Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Matt's work looks even better in flesh
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

can you spot the non-original parts? is the concours or a driver?
    he does beautiful work, he did my old TB's for my 911 race car
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hard to tell from the pics, but the screws that hold the rubber blocks for the FI tubes and ignition wires should be "Cheese Head".
    Bob B

John,,,I know where you're going,,,,,and I look for that all the time now!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hey John! What parts aren't original? Matt gave me back everything that he replaced or didn't use.

I have to ask you, and Ed and Mark too, about judging criteria/originality on the 76 Carrera 3.0 I'm restoring at some point.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Shaun, it appears as though at least three of your ball ends are the modern type which include a drilling tangent to the ball, and a groove under the ball head. This is to accomodate a safety pin to hold the ball-- the pin goes in the hole, preventing the ball from popping off, and then wraps around under the head to hold it.

This is not the way the factory originally did it, there was no safety pin. The original factory parts will have a DIN stamp on the side, and the left-hand thread ends will have the ring of vertical lines around them to distinguish them from the right- hand thread. That way, by loosening both lock nuts, the rod can be extended or shortened to provide perfect correlation.

Matt's great as I have said, but your client will definitely get points off for this.

Judging criteria/originality. . . . well how much time do you have. As our hobby has been turbocharged by cubic dollars (like it or not), the importance of originality has skyrocketed. Cars that would be unquestionable winners years ago (like Seinfeld's original 901) have been eclipsed by more recent restorations in which the bar has been raised VERY high. So my initial advice is this: throw everything you have at it in terms of research and time.

Your own standard of excellence is very appropriate to the current climate, a balance between originality, not verging on over-restoration. Keep it right there.

To be continued. . .

So push it. But don't push it over the edge.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Was everything really yellow cad plated from the factory?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I don't think the aluminum rods connecting the Ball Ends were plated.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 01-23-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I believe ALU rods had a gold coating on them, as well as steel rods plated. The ball ends with safety pin holes are all that is available today new. If you want to plate old worn out ball ends go for it, but Matt's choices need to be for new fittment. Show me new proper ball ends that aren't from a stash of NOS parts. Gordon