Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MFI jewelry courtesy of Matt Blast

Gordon, they are out there, DIN 71805, Form A, not Form B. See, e.g., https://www.norelem.de/xs_db/DOKUMEN..._71805--en.pdf

But I agree with you, if you are restoring a 73RS it makes sense to locate good originals and plate them back for show. And if you want a set of "driver" links with the pins they are easy enough to swap out for the drive home. Just one more thing to change at Concours prep, like the voltage regulator, plug wires, ignition system. . . why it's enough to make a fella compete in "Street" class
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post

This is not the way the factory originally did it, there was no safety pin.
    Just for trivia sake, the factory did use this set-up on the 356 era 4-cam engines.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Just for trivia sake, the factory did use this set-up on the 356 era 4-cam engines.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The 911R's used safety pins as well. Gordon

The finish items in OP are very nicely presented indeed. Nice work.

Did the MY 73 RS in question in OP lose its original parts necessitating use of MY 69S parts? If so is that a matter that counts in such things? Just curious as I've not had much to do with concours and so forth in Porsche world so don't know what is important but I assume folks here have significant experience and know about such things. Discussion of pins and screws etc was interesting -- curious to learn on the main parts themselves in context of the discussion.

Cheers

S

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I'm sure OP was building a RS spec engine, not an original factory engine. He had or chose the 69 parts for the project.

Thanks for clarifying Gordon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun 69 E View Post
    These are 69S throttle bodies and stacks that we are using for a 2.7 RS build. Simply perfection.
    I had thought this comment might be about perfection to factory RS spec/s but now understand it is probably just commenting about high quality cosmetic and refurb work to the "non RS spec part" for use on a similar to RS spec engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    can you spot the non-original parts? is the concours or a driver?
    he does beautiful work, he did my old TB's for my 911 race car
    Regarding factory original RS parts: The factory RS had different part numbers, different design / appearance details and some cases different materials for some parts shown so wouldn't look like the example -- being in some cases "lightweight plastic" they probably couldn't ever look that pretty!

By way of comparison, I have this picture of a one-piece die-cast all plastic throttle valve housing of a fuel injection engine of a similar kind factory used in RS in a possibly quite rare Porsche KG engineering factory publication circa 72.

Under chapter called "a Porsche specialty: lightweight construction"...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  72.0 KB

The part as shown in OP very nice restoration work indeed. I can see a lot of craftsmanship and possibly expense has gone into preparing these parts for a RS spec project engine. Skills to be admired.

This thread then went on to discuss concours judging points when the parts pictured in OP were not the original (RS spec). In my mind this raised the question in a concours would less pretty and less well prepared but the original correct RS parts be marked down over cosmetically beautiful but incorrect for target (RS) spec part? Particularly if a lot of time and maybe money is required to make something look as nice as that OP example. How are nicely presented but no longer to factory original spec cars judged? As previously mentioned, I don't know much about Porsche concours but there are experts here. Possibly this is topic of a different thread and maybe even covered on forum before.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-01-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Add photo

Briefly Steve, at least for Parade judging, you are scored on both originality and presentation. the combination being your total score. If someone had really CLEAN Dellorto carbs on a 356 he (she) would get full presentation points, but zero originality points. So what you want is really CLEAN, Zenith or Solex carbs on your 356 for maximum points!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Understood. Thanks Ed