Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axle sealing ring?

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the trailing arms on my 67 and I'm looking to replace the axle sealing ring, Part # 901 331 283 00, NLA. Does anyone have the contact info for chris_seven?

Figure #16 on this diagram Name:  1.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  59.1 KB

Thanks,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Sad to say Chris Flavell passed a month or so ago. I am not sure if anyone else is making these seals.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Brad,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear about Chris.

Marcel

I believe I did buy them directly from McMaster Carr
    Scott

Scott,

I bought the ones from McMaster Carr and they did no fit the same as the OEM. I guess I'll just reuse the old ones, they don't look too bad. The OEM seal has a very distinct shape and fit... Look at this profile and fit.

Name:  Seal.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  Fit.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  97.0 KB

Bumping this thread, has anybody found a solution?

With rubber and housing surface clean, a small amount of GE window silicone (clear) skim coated on the inner and outer surface, should maximize use in the replacement.

I actually found a NOS set in my stash which is amazing given that I do not have a lot of 911 parts.

How much demand is there for these seals? There is a west coast company making lots of replacement 914 parts and is making some 911 also. If there was enough demand and a new part to copy I bet he could make them.

Bumping this thread. I'm in need of these seals. Would be great to hear if anyone has found a suitable alternative or has been able to reproduce them?

I have only an incomplete portion of the existing ones left, but from measurement and from some earlier posts on the subject, I presume I'm looking for a square section nitrile or viton o-ring, 30mm ID, 36.5mm OD, 8mm depth?

...or even a more common 30mm ID, 3.25mm round cross-section o-ring may work, main task being the prevention of dust and moisture ingress through the stub axle inner bore.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MikeyC; 01-15-2024 at 10:58 PM.
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com