Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "What's It Worth" Thread '71 T Coupe

Another "What's It Worth" Thread '71 T Coupe

First, let me thank you for any information on valuation for the car described below, and know too, we have three 356 cars, and a 964 C-2Cab that was purchased new in '92 by us.

This opportunity came to me via a friend who is helping the widow of the PO that has recently departed our lovely earth. Cherish Every Minute!

One owner from new.

5-speed, 5 Fuchs, retractable antenna & speakers, appearance group, tinted glass all around.

A ton of miles. Clock is showing 46+K but there is enough knowledge that this is at least on the second time around the clock might even be the 3rd.. and there is evidence that speedo has been out to fix the odo.....

Maroon over black. Damaged in years past on both front and rear.

Lots of service records, from 1971 up to and including 2013 when the car was put in a garage and they turned out the lights.

The condition it has been stored in is at the surface, pretty nice, however, there is lots of evidence the garage floor has been really wet as the concrete has efflorescence at least an 8th of an inch or more. E-Brakes are frozen solid as it was on since 2013. A brake service was completed in 2013 so maybe the calipers/rotors are maybe ok, maybe.

Exterior of the car presents well with the usual small dings, scratches, nicks and garage rash. Believe the paint will buff out with some real labor. Repaint in '86 after the rear end hit occurred.

Interior is needy with the drivers side logitudinal carpet wore to the metal, seats no longer support any weight, dash looks OK, door cards are intact with side pockets hanging out of position.

Engine has been rebuilt, but that was done in 1981 with about 41K miles, which would mean over 100K miles ago. And, a question here too: What's up with the cam chain tensioners, sprockets, being worked on/replaced every 7 or 8K miles? Transaxle has been worked on too with first & second gears replaced along with new syncros. Been through at least 4 clutch & PP replacements.. Guess this guy was not easy on the associated parts. By the way, PO was fighter Jet Pilot/Instructor, so just guessing there might have been some attempts to reach MACH 1. Engine does turn over with some effort. So guess that is good.

Now for the horror story. The conditions of the bonnet are simply horrendous. Squirrels have had their way with this compartment for years. A ton of you know what, and old seeds (from the PO's bird feeders) what a complete mess. Battery compartments show rust, but believe this is probably status quo for most all of the "original" '71 Ts. There has been previous work on the car to combat the TIN WORMS, based on the work receipts it was minor. (Ha! When is rust on these cars ever MINOR?)

Have not had the opportunity to get under the car and will not in that garage but want to get it back to my shop and put it on the lift. However, before the work is completed to simply move the car, wondering if this car has a good case to bring it back as a driver and nothing near concours restoration. (Been there, done that with one of the 356 cars).

Yeah, I know Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.... Don't have them but please let my description fill your minds eye and help me to determine the fare market value of such a car in it's state of disrepair.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

DJ.

That "tin worm" things bothers me a bit...
    Well, as does most of your description. No pics, even worse evaluation I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    That "tin worm" things bothers me a bit...
    Well, as does most of your description. No pics, even worse evaluation I guess...
    Thanks for your note.

Pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Base model T that is complete but needs all the cosmetic and mechanicals done = $15-30K, depending on how bad the rust is. If it has cool options (sport seats, TTG's, etc) increase that price 10-20 percent. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Base model T that is complete but needs all the cosmetic and mechanicals done = $15-30K, depending on how bad the rust is. If it has cool options (sport seats, TTG's, etc) increase that price 10-20 percent. IMHO.
    Lol! Point me to one at those prices.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

15-30K is really low. This is the condition many of us dream of finding.. one owner, straight body, all there. I see Carerra chain tensioners fwiw. I bet this would do well on BAT auctions.
    Last edited by Bill Meyer; 02-06-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Only appreciable option was the 5-Speed Transaxle. Unless tinted windows all around is a big deal.

Thanks for responding.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Lol! Point me to one at those prices.
    Really, in this condition? What we don't know yet is the condition of the pans, etc., and the condition of the bonnet with all the squirrel poop/pee. That garage has been pretty wet and since we have first hand knowledge of tin worms in our 356's, can only imagine the condition of this car unless Porsche used some kind of rust abatement in this series of car. Did they?

Thanks for posting and adding to this thread.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post
    15-30K is really low. This is the condition many of us dream of finding.. one owner, straight body, all there. I see Carerra chain tensioners fwiw. I bet this would do well on BAT auctions.
    Bill,

Would agree that there is an allure for the single owner flavor and the nice history (believe we are the second owners of our '59A coupe), however, body has had lots of work on it over the years, both front/rear damage, and lots of dents on the car, and, at this point agree too that it looks like it is all there. The car has not been driven appreciably since 2003.

If paying 30K for as is, then probably another 30K to make it a driver, what is the point of diminishing returns for essentially a ho-hum T?

Thanks for your opinion. Means a lot to me.

DJ

I love the SR-71 sticker on the back window! I wouldn't ever remove that one.

Jeffrey
    Early 911 S Registry #2984
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '90 Beck 550 Spyder (sold)
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)