Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "What's It Worth" Thread '71 T Coupe

I'd say 20k tops depending on how deep the tin worm got in. You can buy a rust free running 'option-less' and somewhat tired T for 35-40. It will take AT LEAST that difference in $$ to get this one up to that level (engine, fuel system, brakes etc, not counting optics). Toss the trunk material and run a vacuum through it will likely do wonders, but what about all the wiring? Was it eaten?

History is a plus, a possible 300k miles and known prior accident damage is of course a huge minus.

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    I'd say 20k tops depending on how deep the tin worm got in. You can buy a rust free running 'option-less' and somewhat tired T for 35-40. It will take AT LEAST that difference in $$ to get this one up to that level (engine, fuel system, brakes etc, not counting optics). Toss the trunk material and run a vacuum through it will likely do wonders, but what about all the wiring? Was it eaten?

History is a plus, a possible 300k miles and known prior accident damage is of course a huge minus.
    Using resto costs and working backwards to come up with a value just doesn't work. Everyone has different motivations, skill sets, etc when entering a resto.

Here's a 911T roller with no motor, no transmission, no fuchs wheels, and who knows what else it's missing. Sold on BAT for 24K, and that's not a one time anomaly, search the other resto sales on BAT. This car is miles ahead of that one.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911t-13/
    Last edited by Bill Meyer; 02-07-2018 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post
    Using resto costs and working backwards to come up with a value just doesn't work. Everyone has different motivations, skill sets, etc when entering a resto.

I was not talking resto, i fully agree with you there. I was merely looking at what it would cost to turn this into a driver. Driver level Ts can still be found for under 40k, that is all i am comparing this car to.

~J~
    air cooled only

Thanks guys for responding. I have responded to you yesterday but the mods are holding my posts back for review.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post

Here's a 911T roller with no motor, no transmission, no fuchs wheels, and who knows what else it's missing. Sold on BAT for 24K, and that's not a one time anomaly, search the other resto sales on BAT. This car is miles ahead of that one.

Again, thanks for your post and the link. Very helpful to see the bones and potential sites for rust.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    I was not talking resto, i fully agree with you there. I was merely looking at what it would cost to turn this into a driver. Driver level Ts can still be found for under 40k, that is all i am comparing this car to.
    Know first hand on restoration costs even with a portion of the work completed by me.

That is why we want to get as much information on the cost to fix the car to driver status but not to a point where there is little to no up side. BTW, we only buy, have not flipped a car, ever.

Thanks again for your help.

DJ

At the shop, more completed on the “T”.

Have removed all the floor carpet, foot boards, front seats. Really happy that there is no tin worms at work at the pedal cluster nor anywhere else “that is evident” in the cabin. Going to wash everything with the disinfectant, rinse and repeat as was done in the bonnet. Seats are toast with no support and they stink too.

Thanks everyone. More to follow.

A couple of better shots of the new car:

This is a pretty nice car, however, not without it’s issues. It really stinks from the squirrels nests and from mice there after. Getting a handle on all this with some medical grade disinfectants, then scrubbing with Simple Green, and a rinse with 50/50 mix of water and denatured alcohol.

Oh, and by the way, the only wires that were chewed on were the wires from the battery tender. So lucky!

Our best,

Decided to pull the gas tank to clean all the exterior surface area in an attempt to get rid of the stink. There were numerous areas where rust developed under the coating on the tank. Spent many hours scraping and scrubbing with lacquer thinner, but, no joy in removing the rodent stink.. Further, on closer examination, finding that there is lots of rust in the tank and the fittings to the fuel pump:

All the crap scraped from these two fittings:

Suppose the tank could be sent out for cleaning, but why take a chance. There are cost effective re-pops for a bit more $$ but it seems the lower priced tanks don’t have a stellar reputation for fitting well. Decided the tank will be replaced with a correct unit from Porsche. On to the fuel pump to see if it is loaded with junk from the tank.

More to follow and thanks for reading.

DJ

Tackling the trunk. Took the tank to my storage area to get it out of the shop.

The tool roll and jack.

Looks like there is a missing allen key for the spark-plug wrench. No tire pressure gauge like in the 356 tool roll. Jack knife is ancillary to the OE tools.

Thanks for taking a look.

DJ