Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "What's It Worth" Thread '71 T Coupe

Was productive with more time spent in the bonnet. Removed the heater fan and control valve assemblies and thank goodness, there was no rodent bedding material in these systems, just a lot of dust. Will clean those today.

Removed the sponge tank liner with a heat gun and removed all the glue and residual material with lacquer thinner:

Heater equipment removed:

Everything cleaned up and a marked improvement in “fragrance” in the bonnet:

All the best,

DJ

Really nice tool kit, a very good find.
    Please keep posting more photos.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    Really nice tool kit, a very good find.
    Please keep posting more photos.
    The tool kit cleaned up nicely and was able to get most of the stink out the wrapper.

Went through and cleaned the fan and the air control boxes. Ran the fresh air scoop through the dish washer in the shop.

Added the license plate to be used on the car. This one is off of my ‘62 Vette which was purchased by me in 1970.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks great! Love the color!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
    The tool kit cleaned up nicely and was able to get most of the stink out the wrapper.

Went through and cleaned the fan and the air control boxes. Ran the fresh air scoop through the dish washer in the shop.

Added the license plate to be used on the car. This one is off of my ‘62 Vette which was purchased by me in 1970.
    Please let us know if the DMV allows you to use this license plate. This style was used in Washington from 1965 (in limited counties) through 1967. Their rules require that the plate has to be correct given the year of the car, but I'm convinced that many of the independent DMV offices don't bother to reference their vintage plate guide. Regardless of what plate you end up with, there are excellent reproduction tabs for sale on ebay. You could stick a '71 tab on this plate and it might sail right through, but the correct plate for 1971 is readily available on ebay for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by buddan View Post
    Looks great! Love the color!
    Thank you. Don’t have maroon in our collection. This car will get wet sand treatment then on to the 4 step polishing process from Griot’s Garage products.

Our ‘59A that was repainted on the PO’s driveway. Lots of paint to be removed so used 600 through 1200 paper then the polishing:

Buffed out:

Will be fun to do the transformation on the paint.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    Please let us know if the DMV allows you to use this license plate. This style was used in Washington from 1965 (in limited counties) through 1967. Their rules require that the plate has to be correct given the year of the car, but I'm convinced that many of the independent DMV offices don't bother to reference their vintage plate guide. Regardless of what plate you end up with, there are excellent reproduction tabs for sale on ebay. You could stick a '71 tab on this plate and it might sail right through, but the correct plate for 1971 is readily available on ebay for cheap.
    My reasoning on this plate is since there were sticky tabs on it to 1979 and since it came on a car in 1970, thought it would be OK. Know that green plate with white lettering/numbers in white is correct for ‘62.

Have a good friend that believes no year sticker is actually needed. Pretty soon, going to find out if our bets are on the mark or not. Guess too, can simply look up the rules....

Thanks for taking the time to post

BTW, have the plates off my Dad’s 1970 Ford so could use one of them.
    Last edited by DanielJ; 02-27-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
    My reasoning on this plate is since there were sticky tabs on it to 1979 and since it came on a car in 1970, thought it would be OK. Know that green plate with white lettering/numbers in white is correct for ‘62.

Have a good friend that believes no year sticker is actually needed. Pretty soon, going to find out if our bets are on the mark or not. Guess too, can simply look up the rules....

Thanks for taking the time to post

BTW, have the plates off my Dad,s 1970 Ford so could use them.
    Here's a helpful web page:
    http://staff.washington.edu/islade/counties/index.htm

A few comments: The '65-'67 plates such as you have are pretty desirable if ebay prices are any indication, worth 5-10X what you pay for a '68 and later. While the three letters were originally indicative of the issuing county, I've never seen a DMV office require compliance with that detail. Also, you'll note that the '58-'62 plates are identical to the '65-'67 version except that the colors are reversed. I troll the web looking for plates whose numbers are a good "fit" to my cars. (The dentist in Lake Tapps has a correct plate on his '67 911 ending in 911, a rare find.) If you find a good number on a '58-'52 plate, you can have it "restored" with reverse colors for a '65-'67 car. Those will sail right through DMV.

You are correct about the tabs...unnecessary, but a nice detail. Your dad's plate with a '71 sticker would be the cat's meow. Your 911 looks like a great car, by the way. The apparent value goes up with each set of pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    Here's a helpful web page:
    http://staff.washington.edu/islade/counties/index.htm

A few comments: The '65-'67 plates such as you have are pretty desirable if ebay prices are any indication, worth 5-10X what you pay for a '68 and later. While the three letters were originally indicative of the issuing county, I've never seen a DMV office require compliance with that detail. Also, you'll note that the '58-'62 plates are identical to the '65-'67 version except that the colors are reversed. I troll the web looking for plates whose numbers are a good "fit" to my cars. (The dentist in Lake Tapps has a correct plate on his '67 911 ending in 911, a rare find.) If you find a good number on a '58-'52 plate, you can have it "restored" with reverse colors for a '65-'67 car. Those will sail right through DMV.

You are correct about the tabs...unnecessary, but a nice detail. Your dad's plate with a '71 sticker would be the cat's meow. Your 911 looks like a great car, by the way. The apparent value goes up with each set of pictures!
    Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Thanks too for your time spent here. Greatly appreciated!

Parts are starting to arrive and looking forward to reassembly.

DJ

+1 for keeping the blackbird!
    Early S Registry Member #3658
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1973 911T (field find project/ sold)
    1985 911 (driver)