Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Another "What's It Worth" Thread '71 T Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    i like your A coupe '59 high bow, right?
    You are correct. It’s a nice little car. The P.O. purchased the car in Tacoma,Wa in 1960 from a used car lot named “Sport Car Center of Tacoma. The car was less than a year old when this family purchased it. The P.O. was a machinist at the local pulp and paper mill, occasionally driving it to work and always covered it while there. Cars driven to this location without protection suffered some big paint problems due to the SO2 emissions from the plant.

The owner was pretty active in the local Porsche Club and many know the history of the owner and the car. Car was passed on to the son. He did not use it much. He decided to sell it and it was not publicly advertised, just word of mouth and to me, via a local neighbor who knew we would be interested and we purchased it sight unseen. It is a wonderful car and my favorite “go to” car. We have it shined up like a new penny by color sanding and a 4 step polish process.

Thanks for your interest. BTW, recognize you from 356 Registry. Really like your cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by DanielJ; 03-31-2018 at 03:25 AM.

Promised to get back on woodworking and to finish up the master bath cabinets, wainscoting, and doors. A push on now to get back on track.

911T will be waiting patiently and have a lot more interest in getting the car back together and running rather than doing “honey do” lists.

So many know that: Happy Wife = Happy Life.

Think too, will be able to sneak in a few hours from time to time to work on the T.

Thanks for following along.
    Last edited by DanielJ; 04-16-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Spent just a few minutes working on the T today. Removed the left timing chain cover. Nothing new here and to my untrained eye, it all looks good. Please do correct me if there are issues that are apparent to the folks with experience.

Thanks for following along.

Chain ramps look to be in good condition. Elevated the timing chain with some delrin and could see the tracks in the ramp. Looked up the last time these were replaced and that was in 1993. As far as can be determined, only a few thousand miles on these parts. Think that these are good to go.

Thanks again for following along.

DJ.

PS: Reading a thread in a 964 section where one of the people posting talked about pressurizing the oil system without turning the engine over with the starter. Said that they used a pressurized paint container holding 2x gal of oil at 40psi and connected to the main oil gallery location and thus, primed the engine. Wondering if this might be good for this engine since it has set idle for a good number of years. Thanks again.

In another post, he wrote: (We connected the new Oil line at the Oil Pressure switch point or the Oil Pressure sender depending on what is most convenient.)
    Last edited by DanielJ; 04-09-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Wanted to “bleed” the chain tensioners today. Connected them to one of syringes used for oil applications to the feed tube for the tensioner. Made sure the metal line and the tube to the syringe was clear of air then connected to the tensioner via the banjo bolt and applied pressure to the syringe. Lots of air popping out of the pressure-relief valve on the top of the tensioner. probably 30 or more cc of fluid pumped into it and for the most part, no more air bubbles.

Have read this from Wayne Dempsey:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ensioners.html

An interesting article and provides a better understanding of these tensioners.

Top of the tensioner and the little hole is believed to be the pressure-relief valve where excess oil under pressure escapes from.

DJ.

A big shout out to Pacific Oil Cooler Service! For not much money and a quick turn time, the oil cooler is back and ready to be installed.

Think all the parts are in my shop now for reassembly. Have yet to touch the brakes, so would imagine that the pads will need to be replaced, but perhaps since the brakes were serviced in 2013, they may be just fine.

DJ.

PS: Since there was mention of some woodworking, will show my progress here too:

Last edited by DanielJ; 04-18-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Back to working on the T and enjoying every minute. Have the oil return tubes removed via vice grips and bolt cutters so that the cylinder tins can be removed, modified, painted for better cooling.

Over the past couple of weeks also spent time on the ‘63 Cab. Ever since the car was delivered after restoration, there have been issues with the starter. Removed it only to find that the issues were electrical ground related. The original starter was rebuilt. Painted so it looked pretty. The guy we consigned for mechanical reassembly failed to remove the paint from the mating surfaces so there was not a good connection electrically. Could spin the engine with no plugs, but with plugs sounded like the battery was near dead.

After cleaning all surfaces, the starter works flawlessly. All this took several days of testing, jumping switches, cleaning connection points, etc. Happy this is sorted.

We also were hosts for this months Cars & Coffee at our vacation rental. Think we had about 90 people and around 50 cars. Had excellent weather and no wind which is rare since we are located along the Strait of Juan deFuca.

Know this is bit off topic and wanted to share some cool cars.

DJ.

I second the appreciation for the '59 coupe. My Mom had one in Aga blue that Dad bought her brand new.
    I'll never forget the comments from my uncle, who was an early secretary of SCCA Cal Club region in the 50s:
    "Jeez, for 4500 bucks you coulda had a Jag".
    Mom drove the pants off that little car for 10 years, 100K miles, until we three kids were, respectively 18, 16, and 14, and the five of us could no longer ride together in it!
    90MPH all day long..wish we had it now!

Quote Originally Posted by adam912 View Post
    I second the appreciation for the '59 coupe. My Mom had one in Aga blue that Dad bought her brand new.
    I'll never forget the comments from my uncle, who was an early secretary of SCCA Cal Club region in the 50s:
    "Jeez, for 4500 bucks you coulda had a Jag".
    Mom drove the pants off that little car for 10 years, 100K miles, until we three kids were, respectively 18, 16, and 14, and the five of us could no longer ride together in it!
    90MPH all day long..wish we had it now!
    What a great story! By all means, feel free to post pictures of your Mom's car here. Would love to see them! Have the '59 up on blocks now to install new rear brake cylinders. Love to drive this car and it gets many looks and waves of appreciation. Think too, once we get the 911 on the road, it will get lots of love from on lookers.....

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

Our best,

DJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DanielJ; 05-13-2018 at 06:22 AM.