Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 67S Tool kit bag

This process might have been different in various countries. Different shipping codes, modes of transport on how they got there and so forth. Also role of the country importer in this regard plus of course things like factory collection in Germany for some ... Things got taken from cars in docks and other places ve heard so needed to be replaced.. All adds to ...Variability....on top of the variability of different tools and the bag being sourced from different suppliers and picked/ assembled into the kits

For example I've spoken with the guy from the dealership who sold my car when new and he told me that he and a customer collected the car in early calendar 1973 (along with a similar sister car) from Porsche cars GB the UK importer who iirc at the time were at Facon Works London Rd Isleworth (in west London not too far from LHR). Drove the pair on trade plates pre-registration process on road to his dealership in NW region of the U.K.

Importer for country is shown in the various editions service stations booklet that were produced along with dealers ( except USA -- which just shows the importer and I assume had the separate list of dealers I've seen).

I was at one time in my career the group director of operations at An automotive OEM and there is was lot going on in the overall process -- lot of details and variables to manage. Probably not so different for Porsche back in the 70s.

S
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-11-2018 at 08:21 PM.

For my dad's business with cars coming directly imported or by european delivery, the cars came from the factory with toolkits.
    My dad had cars come with missing parts, but by and large pretty rare. We had a 68 911 (model unknown by me) missing a toolkit and the factory sent another one. We also had a 67S coupe come in missing it's carbs and air intake. One carb came from Germany, and another from Italy. I don't remember about the air intake/cleaner, but assume it came from Germany. Dad would usually have a stack of new owners manuals ordered to include with the car as well, as those would typically disappear or not make it with the car.

Dad's imports came via Holland distributor Ben Pon and also several independent agents who dealt with Mr. Pon, depended a bit for us on who could get us the best deal at the time. One of them would ship us cheese "wheels" in the back of the cars under the seat or behind the spare tire.

Just thought I say that I really appreciate the responses to my initial post - not just the ones regarding the correctness of certain bags but also those that describe what the process was like when these old cars were being made. This forum is a great resource especially for those of us who haven't been around these cars for that long.

Thanks,
    Steve