Thread: 67S Tool kit bag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

67S Tool kit bag

A friend of mine has two tool kit bags that may go with his 67S 911. Both are textured although one has more texture than the other. Which of these would be correct for the car or are both correct? I checked out the took kit reference and content post on the for sale section which is a great resource, but still wasn't quite clear on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I am sure Eric will chime in shortly.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I think 67my used the ribbed vinyl
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

My 67S had the ribbed vinyl as well.

Neither of those are technically correct, IMHO. linen-style is what I see most in 67 cars followed by the ribbed style as others have mentioned. The only time I have seen a 67 bag with vinyl similar to yours is when it had a red interior.

Of course, any bag could be correct as long as it's an earler style for your car and not a later style. The dealers were known to care a lot less about this than we do.

Ribbed and linen style below.

Name:  ribber bag.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  312.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    I am sure Eric will chime in shortly.
    MOST of them have been the linen that I have personally owned and seen in 67S's. I've seen a few ribbed as well.

Steve Unterman, imho your top pic is an earlier bag pre-ribbed, and the bottom pic is 1968. That's only based on the appearance of the vinyl, and that's truly only a very generalized observation. There were a LOT of different vinyls, but you can draw general conclusions based on preponderance of one vinyl over another.

Note that I've been collecting this stuff for almost 30 years, and early on I was buying cars that weren't worth a lot and looking at a lot of cars, and at that time not a lot of cars were changing multiple hands AND toolkits weren't the big deal they are now. So, I could see patterns of types of toolkits fabrics, tools inside etc in certain years. I would also buy pieces and kits from friends parting cars out and I would ask what car this or that came out of and that continued to add to my own mental database.

Certainly all my info and that found elsewhere here is not without fault and the best is to be found from original or low multiple owner cars, but even then, memory is not without its faults.

Here's a picture I took a few years ago when I was moving offices and tried to get some of the toolkit stuff in one place. This is most of it, but there's still all the cars with the kits inside of them, and in the back there are full toolkits and travel kits. Sorry, NFS.

cheers,
    Eric

Great photo, Eric. And glad to hear you'll be back in action at the Lit Show.

Another quick note on the linen/ribbed timeline. As Eric mentioned, most of the 67 bags he's seen have been of the linen variety. That matches my experience, especially for toolkits with established provenance. I also have evidence of the ribbed bag being available in 1965 cars, leading me to believe that the most correct timeline for early bags is:

1. Rare, tabbed clasp, bag for 1964 and early 1965 cars
    2. Ribbed bag for later 1965 cars and 1966 cars. These seem to have also shown up in some 1967 cars as we've seen in this thread.
    3. Linen-style bag for most 1967 cars.

I'm currently negotiating on a one-owner, late 65 911 that has been parked since 1974. The original toolkit is still in the trunk - in spectacular, unused condition - and the toolkit is the ribbed variety. The car was sold new by Vasek Polak in August of 1965.

Fortunately, the toolkit timeline gets much clearer from 1968 onward.

BTW, my wife just asked me what I was doing. When I tried to explain she just sighed and walked away. Is it possible that toolkit trivia isn't as much of a turn-on as I'd assumed?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Great photo, Eric. And glad to hear you'll be back in action at the Lit Show.

Another quick note on the linen/ribbed timeline. As Eric mentioned, most of the 67 bags he's seen have been of the linen variety. That matches my experience, especially for toolkits with established provenance. I also have evidence of the ribbed bag being available in 1965 cars, leading me to believe that the most correct timeline for early bags is:

1. Rare, tabbed clasp, bag for 1964 and early 1965 cars
    2. Ribbed bag for later 1965 cars and 1966 cars. These seem to have also shown up in some 1967 cars as we've seen in this thread.
    3. Linen-style bag for most 1967 cars.

I'm currently negotiating on a one-owner, late 65 911 that has been parked since 1974. The original toolkit is still in the trunk - in spectacular, unused condition - and the toolkit is the ribbed variety. The car was sold new by Vasek Polak in August of 1965.

Fortunately, the toolkit timeline gets much clearer from 1968 onward.

BTW, my wife just asked me what I was doing. When I tried to explain she just sighed and walked away. Is it possible that toolkit trivia isn't as much of a turn-on as I'd assumed?
    Good post!

Just to add a bit to the early timeline, I believe that there is a non tabbed but still riveted clasp in that earliest timeline. There appears to be a variance of the interior on that earliest of bags with both fully lined and partially lined as well. Note that I've found and noted 356 black tabbed clasp bags that are not "black self lined", and I've discussed this with a couple the 356 Toolkit gurus. So, I think there is a small but meaningful overlap between toolkit bag construction for late 356 and early 911 as they were both going down the production line at the same time.

My wife has been dealing with this for 25+ years.... Some days are better than others!

e

Please forgive me if this question has been raised (and answered) earlier. Were tool kits always placed in the cars at the factory, or instead, by the dealer? If dealers put them in it would explain the variability in bag style vs year of car. Different dealers, with different quantities of cars sold would be expected to exhaust their inventories of a particular production run (style of bag/roll) at different rates. Hence, a 67 gets one style of bag at one dealer (leftovers from 65 or 66), but a different style at a different dealer who is using a more contemporary style, having exhausted the earlier supply. So, if dealers put them in it would explain how we can have three people, each with an original equipment 1967 911S, reporting three different styles of bags.