Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C or not?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Best laugh today!!!
    No Joke!

Everybody copies the 911R. Pull the air snorkel off a 79SC, close enough!

But to have in place all the original weird stuff that our cars had in 1968? The stuff that was angrily thrown away in the go-go '80s?

'68 man. The Platypus year. I think I said once that the only thing harder than restoring a '64, due to scarcity, was restoring an ORIGINAL '68.

Anyway Frank's car is a '67.

That AC could be useful at the track but not in the way you might think. . . in addition to keeping you cool in the Paddock, flipping it on at the third brake marker ought to get a nice chirp out of the 165's...
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Just one more opinion. If you don't have a front cooler, aftermarket a/c makes the engine run too hot. It really baked the magnesium case on my beloved 73, many years ago. Also, the folks at the dealer appeared to have installed it with mining tools and explosives. They actually cut through the kidney pan to get inside the rocker to run the hoses up to the front. They did this, I think, with an air chisel. All this, and more, at a Porsche dealer in LA! I really dislike aftermarket a/c. My case was especially bad, but I've never seen an installation that looked good.

The Aeroquip hoses in the factory a/c systems (not the neat-o aviation stuff, this hose was for heavy equipment) are kind of cool looking in a 1969 Mercedes Benz 300SEL 6.3, not in an early 911, IMHO.

BTW, the aftermarket a/c in the 73 worked great, as air conditioning!
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom F. View Post
    Just one more opinion. If you don't have a front cooler, aftermarket a/c makes the engine run too hot. It really baked the magnesium case on my beloved 73, many years ago.
    Mag eng cases were a boneheaded idea and perhaps the main reason they were in production for only 10 years. You're definitely correct; without benefit of aux oil cooling mag self destructs and leaks. Aftermarket AND Behr A/C equipped mag case cars need aux oil cooling. In Phoenix back in the day it wasn't uncommon for 2.7's to run almost 300 degrees oil temp in the summer without a second cooler. Brutal.

The sand cast alu case on the other hand could survive a trip to the sun and back; they are remarkably robust. Plus, these SWB A/C systems use a fairly large, fan cooled condenser in the left front fender that keeps the high side pressure down to a fairly efficient level and oil temp under control. There's really no need for aux oil cooling. BUT, it's never a bad idea in very hot climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    just ask my wife. (I'm glad she married for humor rather than good looks, money, stature, or intelligence.).
    She's a keeper Frank.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

My recently purchased 72 T non-sunroof coupe had dealer installed AC that one of the previous owners removed and had covered the various crudely (and I mean crudely!) made holes for the various components with different types of material held in with glue and or sheet metal screws. I just finished removing any evidence of those 'holes' and the patch panels with new sheet metal surgically MIG welded in and refinished, so evidence of what I'm sure was a rather inefficient system is gone.

Any A/C a boon here during New Jersey summers

So Frank, what's your decision? I have a 68 912 with an original "aftermarket" A/C that was installed by can opener mechanics as well. I removed it bc a 912 is slow enough, let alone being burdened by boat anchor A/C.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Banned
    I respect the opinions here as I think they represent a cross section of legit owners and buyers. A/C is going back on.

I would never, ever put A/C back on a 912; even in Phoenix.

On the one hand if you leave the AC stuff, I'd think there's an expectation that it should work... Not sure you want to get into fixing old AC...

On the other hand if you take it out I'd think there's an expectation you'd want to close all the holes and there are many, if my cars were any indication...

On the third hand, it's all aftermarket dealer installed crap that, at best, was likened to a squirrel blowing on an ice cube, and it does increase engine temps significantly on no-cooler or even trombone-cooler cars... I only got it to stop doing that after a carrera cooler + fan was installed. The under dash vents on the early cars were always interfering with my knees too.. Then I yanked it out anyway because it was in my way and not super cold to justify the trouble... Some folks buy the aftermarket vents and stuff for $$, as I found out after I trashed mine...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    On the one hand if you leave the AC stuff, I'd think there's an expectation that it should work... Not sure you want to get into fixing old AC...
    Uhhh... A/C is our wheel house and we do it exceptionally well.

Not only will it work; it will freeze the Mrs out.