Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Period lighting question - mixed clear and yellow

Period lighting question - mixed clear and yellow

This might be a silly question, but here goes. If one were building a ‘68, drive to work during the week, rally through the hills at the weekend type of car, would it have ever been equipped with clear headlight lenses and yellow TTG fogs/driving lights? Or would the headlights and fogs have matched in color? Thanks for the advice...

Jeffrey
    Early 911 S Registry #2984
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '90 Beck 550 Spyder (sold)
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)

I did install the mud flaps the other day...
    Name:  69609B0F-7277-45A7-806F-227231FDBACB.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  86.8 KB

Jeffrey
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)

I'm by no means an expert, but I own a 1954 Austin Healey 100 with a fairly extensive race history and it has both. No idea if this was common, only a Healey thing, or specific to this car. But I love the look.

Name:  healey front.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  57.5 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I kind of remember that era. If you want a real expert on historic sports car lighting, contact Aardvark International.

Headlights

Yellow headlights were France only and there only from WWII up to 1993. It might not have been legal to register a car with yellow headlights outside France but lighting regulations aren't always enforced.

If you ran yellow headlights back in 1968 you'd be considered to be a poseur.

Driving Lights

I assume you mean long range lights intended to be used with high beams. I've never heard of these in yellow although yellow bulbs are available. I'd run white to be historically correct.

Fog Lights

Fog lights could be either white or yellow: your choice.

I suspect a rally car with a rack of driving lights would also run white fog lights. I was at the Petersen yesterday; the Ferrari GTO on display had white fog lights.

On the other hand, yellow fog lights could work a little better in thick fog. The big advantage back in '68 when virtually nobody in the USA had fog lights is that yellow fog lights wouldn't be mistaken for high beams. If you ran white fog lights people would blink their high beams to get you to dim yours (even though you weren't using them).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thank you both for the information. I appreciate the period details you’ve provided, Jim, and you have a very nice Austin Healy, LiveFromNY! At both car events I attended this weekend (EASY C&C, and a drive this morning) I saw a few vintage cars with clear headlights and yellow fogs, and I like the look, so I’ve gone ahead and bought the Marchal yellow TTG fog lamps from a seller on the site here. Can’t wait to get them mounted. Thanks again for the input...

Jeffrey
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)

I agree with what has been said above
    Lighting rules are very much jurisdiction specific and France was the only place with normal yellow lights.
    Here in Australia there has always been a choice between yellow and white fog lights but yellow was only allowed on fog lights (and maybe not even in all states)
    I have always preferred yellow fog lights over clear ones as I use them especially in heavy rain at night. In those conditions I find that they provide much better vision than white fogs (although white fogs are better than standard low beam due to the beam spread)

I try not to drive my 911 in those conditions theses days but I have it set up that way as shown on the picture if you what an idea of what it looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I have yellow for both headlights and fogs.. and some Marchal driving lights (in Yellow as well..), what can I say..

Jeffrey, maybe this should be a new thread BUT could you please post pics of how you installed your mud flaps / brackets etc.? I have those same flaps. Thanks!

nvr2many, it was loosely based on this photo that I found on another thread here:
    Name:  C2A8F221-C085-4A18-A5E5-0F12969BB10A.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  43.3 KB
    A bit rough looking, but it was not expensive and it works fine. I painted mine flat black to hide it a bit better. I’ll take and post some photos of my specific setup...

Jeffrey
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)

Hugh, beautiful car! Yes, I definitely like the look with the yellow fog lights.

Jeffrey
    '68 912-6 2,7
    '05 911 Carrera S
    '72 VW Squareback (sold)