Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is correct jack for '69T?

What is correct jack for '69T?

Thanks to a number of sources, I know that the early Bilstein jack is correct for '62-'68. And it seems the Bilstein green dot jack is correct for late '71 and later. Does anyone know what jack is correct for '69, please? And was there a case/bag for it? If so, what does that look like?

With thanks,

Rich

65 views and no answers? OK, SMC thinks the earlier Bilstein jack was used through 1971. Stoddard says through 1973. Surely somebody here must know what jack was used in 1969?

I think the Bilstein jack may be correct for '69 as well.
    I do not believe the "green dot" to be correct for anything prior to '74.
    step through this thread;

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Jack-71/page4
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

No bag and no green dot prior to 74
    Got the same jack as in link above, right one
    Registry member No.773

I do not know about Jack for 69 but the thread has started to make strong opinions about model year 73. That caught my attention.

I'm not a Jack expert I'm pretty sure what I've seen. While the model year drivers owners literature shows jack as pictured black and with the up and down variant dot is is coloured yellow ...in my experience it is one of those things where the driver owner handbook literature printed for model year 73 differs slightly from what is commonly found in model year 73 cars-- what I often see is green dot.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  134.5 KB
    While there are some marked yellow up and down around I 've certainly seen many a green dot no words in original model year 73 cars. I suspect a number of model year 73 owners here have a green dot version in their original cars. Think the change from the previous style was late calendar 72.

The wind up with the plastic cap design details evolved and that style was around a while at least until eighties (iirc). I don't tend to look beyond longhood.

There are variations over time in the wind up green dot handle type. Some with with "lollipop" shape as in picture and others with a triangular "teardrop" shape. Some handles are parallel / flat others have slightly kinked handle to give more knuckle clearance; also the triangular / teardrop have different size indent pressings in their handle. Throughout the timeline there was variation on the silver caps an their markings. I suspect model year 73 owners with original jacks will find in some cases green dot wind up. Other threads about jacks and cars already show this.

With wind up style the "peg or prong differed" some with solid metal marked bilstein and less sturdy folded sheet metal -- Ive read some say the folded type is for 914 and 911 is solid.

This thread started about 69 so don't want to lose the OP point but discussion has strayed to make statements about longhoods including model year 73. As always I'm open to learn but I'd be very surprised and would challenge based on what I've seen and know of in model year 73 cars the statements claiming the bilstein wind up with green dot wasn't ever used until the model year 74!

In February 1973 there was some changes to the metalwork of RS ( all cars?) in the area around front lock area because spare with Jack had proved difficult to fit. I don't know if it is result of Jack changes. A few of the very early RS had the old style lever Jacks (maybe just the pre production cars) but majority of the RS (model year 73 only) I've seen and know have had green dot Jack although -- obviously the provenance of such accessories over decades isn't always assured.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-15-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    I think the Bilstein jack may be correct for '69 as well.
    I do not believe the "green dot" to be correct for anything prior to '74.
    step through this thread;

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Jack-71/page4
    My October 69 (MY 70 911) has this same jack

Bilstein jack from a December, 1968 (1969 model year) Karmann coupe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Steve, Pics in manuals were always outdated. I wouldnt use manuals for confirming.
    Not questioning your infos but manuals were never precise with pics.
    Registry member No.773

Agree Karim. My point is based on seeing green dot jacks in many model year 73. That's why I challenge the assertion made in this post that green dot jacks were not used before 74.

Cheers

Thanks to all! This was quite helpful.

Rich