Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to live? outside California, but still has a car community.

I moved to Boise Idaho 20 years ago and have never thought of moving back. I used to work at Aase motors in Fullerton with Jeff and Randy..... those are times I do miss. I now service and repair most of the air cooled Porsche's up here. I have a shop on my property - you can still afford that up here. More and More people moving here all the time, mostly Californians, but still A wonderful place to live! Check out our Oktoberfast in October...It's one of many club shows the we put on.
    Wade
    Member# 2186

1970 914/6
    1972 911 T
    1973 914/4
    1978 911

Arizona (Scottsdale) has great classic car weather from October until May, and the classic car culture is vibrant; in winter, there is something car related pretty much every other weekend if not more. Just head north or west for the summer months.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

~J~
    air cooled only

Banned
    Jules sells vacation time shares as a side biz but he IS right. Vibrant community of enthusiasts and posers in the Phoenix area. Plenty of resources and fairly relaxed toxic material market. We can buy paint or meth lab supplies easily. If you’re a 2A fan this is a very welcoming place.

And if you move here I can feed you work if you’re interested and any good.

North Texas has an active car culture with strong P-car activities. Housing is cheaper than California but property tax is high as there is no income tax. Not sure how all the Californians moving here will impact the area. Not likely to be good.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

San Antonio Texas is worth considering. Great car clubs here and in Austin. We often get together to do drives. We are on the doorstep of the Hill Country which has fabulous driving roads. Fair cost of living, and access to sufficient automotive shops and suppliers to do anything you want here. I know a few folks from California come out here for the Hill Country Rallye- ask them about the roads.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Payson AZ
    Town is full of old car guys
    Beautiful up here and no Phoenix heat
    Close to Frank's shop and Space Age on the fun AZ87.

Karla

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Not Oregon:

Everything is super expensive. No Porsches at all. Everyone hates old cars. No good roads. Everywhere you go is crazy crowded, lots of traffic. Violent crime is rampant. It rains every day, except when it snows. All people are very very mean, rude and sometimes sarcastic. We genuinely hate it and regret coming here from So Cal. Don't screw up like we did!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

http://dungenessbaymanor.com

My website. Take a look and stay here for a while. Let me know if you do and will get discounts for you.

DJ.

BTW, very active car culture here. Most any car you would want to see. Seattle about 2hours drive.

Very little rain at about 14 or so inches per year.

Quote Originally Posted by hattrick View Post
    I moved to Boise Idaho 20 years ago and have never thought of moving back. I used to work at Aase motors in Fullerton with Jeff and Randy..... those are times I do miss. I now service and repair most of the air cooled Porsche's up here. I have a shop on my property - you can still afford that up here. More and More people moving here all the time, mostly Californians, but still A wonderful place to live! Check out our Oktoberfast in October...It's one of many club shows the we put on.
    If I get my way Martha and I will be your neighbor in a couple of years. I lived in Sun Valley and then Boise 75 to 81. Boise, and Star are much bigger now but still a great place. Denver has just gotten too big and the roads too crowded for my tastes.
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

cmpski,

Hope to here from you in a couple of years or sooner.
    do you still have your 914-6?
    -Wade
    208-869-5715
    Wade
    Member# 2186

1970 914/6
    1972 911 T
    1973 914/4
    1978 911