Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call from buyer for my Porsche

Call from buyer for my Porsche

I just got message on my answering machine from someone who says they have a buyer for my 911 - and even knew the year. It was a woman named Louis. I couldn't tell for sure. But I think she says "Bob the classic vehicle buyer" wants to buy it. She left a phone number (714) 501-xxxx.

I have to think this is a scam. I'm definitely not interested in selling. But, I'm very bothered that someone I don't know is calling my unlisted home phone asking about my car. Fortunately the car is so locked up, they aren't getting to it.

To allay my fears, anyone know anything about "Bob the classic vehicle buyer" or anything else about this?

Set up a special bank account and have them do a wire transfer into that account. That should separate the scammers from the real buyers.

Don't know if it's a scam or not (seems fishy to me, though)...unfortunately, sounds like a friend of a friend gave out your info. Be aware.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

This has happened to me a few times. My guess is they get the info from your local PCA membership booklet or have an inside person where your car is insured.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Jay,

I would appreciate Bob's number.

BTW: What's a "home phone" that you mentioned?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    She left a phone number (714) 501-xxxx.
    Should this be a scam, that full number would be handy to be able to Google.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

I got the same exact call on my voicemail several months ago from a 714 area code return number. I did not respond or save the name/number. Definitely someone got access to a Porsche club or vendor database.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

I've a few VM's like this over the years- hard to know if it's a scam or someone just wanting to make an insulting offer on your car.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I received two text messages recently from somebody asking if I wanted to sell my '73 - so yes, he knew the year and my mobile number. And then last week I received a letter in the mail asking the same thing. Feels a little like being stalked.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

I received this same call again today (left on my voice mail).
    It was a woman's voice identifying herself as "Melissa" and that her boss "Bob is interested in purchasing my Porsche".
    She identified the company as "Classic Vehicle Buyer(s)" and the phone number left to call: (714) 501-0145.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548