Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing my ‘73 T

Introducing my ‘73 T

Hello Ladies and Gents-

I think I messed up by going straight to the for sale forums rather than introducing myself. So I would like to introduce myself and my new project. I am an 83 SC owner since 2012 and a year ago a friend sent me a picture of car he saw in a field hidden behind a Honky Tonk bar in very rural Arkansas. I spent the last year talking with the property caretaker to get the name of the car owner and finally broke through last month. As best as I can put together it is a numbers matching 1973 T, aubergine, tan interior with light metal wheels (per the COA). The owner said she cried when I sent her pictures of it while I was attempting to buy it. She thought it was still a “like new” car which they had put in a new interior. It was supposed to be inside getting carb work done when life overcame her family. Instead unbeknownst to her it sat in a field for 20+ years with the engine and trans sitting on a pallet out in another field. I am trying to get an idea of what I have and don’t have and the extent of work that will need to be done. I believe I have a good group of skilled local Porsche experience but I am more than open to suggestions from anyone. Here are some pictures starting with what my friend first sent me.
    Early S Registry Member #3658
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1973 911T (field find project/ sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

The way it was first shown to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

Up close after a year of chasing it.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

This is not how I would have stored a bumper, exhaust system, and oil tank if I had just replaced the interior.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

Yep that’s the only side of Webers that was with it, but honestly it felt almost like Christmas since I had not been able to open the trunk until after I owned it.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

Found these under early 1990 gas receipts in the glove box.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

PO was a C-130 Flight Engineer so of course owners manual was put in aircrew checklist page savers and a checklist binder.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

At home, it’s inside the garage now and I am slowly trying to find out what I have and what I don’t have.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

At least the numbers match, I guess. This is the way I found them 1/4 mile away from the car. The caretaker said he covered it for “a while”. I’m sure that will make all the difference.
    1983 911 SC (sold)
    1985 911 (driver)

Holy Shinto! Well, you have your work cut out for you. The emblem is not correct for the year. It's a later red bar badge. Of course the car would have had mfi and not Weber's. The internals of that engine are ruined. Hopefully the original case is salvageable.
    You'll need to completely dismantle it and check thoroughly for rust repair. If it has severe rust that will be your single biggest repair.