Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Matching engine number value

Banned
    Dennis,
    I really don't understand what happened to your case. In about 2000 I bought your car as a very nice, matching number, rust free, crash free '65 street car. Turned it into a race car. (I know, I know...) A customer campaigned it for about 4 years. Sold it as a roller to you-know-who. A few years later you-know-who contacted me to see if I still had the case. We struck a deal and that was the last I heard about the car until you contacted me. If anyone knows where that case is it's you-know-who. I'm still on the hunt though.

Mark,
    The elephant in the room is the sheer number of cases that have survived but their matching cars did not. Reality is that out of all the engines I have maybe 5-10%(?) might someday be reunited. (There's a reason I ended up with a bunch of motors and cases... and it wasn't because we decided to swap or dissect perfectly healthy cars back in the day.)

Although with the interweb the chances of a hook up are much, much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
    Market price is fair.
    Anything more or less is a dick move.
    I think this kind of sums up the argument and since market price has been established there probably isn't too much else to debate.
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Na Merv

it didnt..

Rear as Unicorn's down here.. "give me a couple O hundy out of sink ,, sweet

Mark
    You lost me in translation there Mark. There was virtually no response to my comment.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Frank,

You sure know how to hit the nerves here! Global liquidity should prompt a name change to Early 911S Registry, Valuation Service and Clearinghouse LOL

Anyway, you have the kind of mind that would appreciate this article, particularly when it comes to matching number cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilateral_monopoly And this good article about Nash equlibrium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bargaining_problem.

The short version is that a bilateral monopoly exists between the buyer and the seller-- because the counterparty is the only one who is positioned to pay the most. To everyone else, it's just a non-matching numbers case, so there's no premium on the number. But if the seller's price is too high, the buyer will buy another case and the premium disappears.

How do you win a bilateral monopoly? (If anyone studied economics at the University of Chicago, please don't answer, I want to see if Frank has thought this one through)

I've spent the last 21 years thinking about these kinds of problems and I think I know the answer.

And after you answer (if you have any gas left for this thread) I have a follow up question called the "Model T Problem."
    Last edited by 304065; 03-16-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    You lost me in translation there Mark. There was virtually no response to my comment.
    Hi Merv,
    To translate,
    If you have a RHD Australian or New Zealand new car that had its engine swapped out for what ever reason, the chances of ever finding it again are pretty slim.
    I have a 72 and stumbled across an engine that was 15 away from what came in my car, which here in NZ was a delight to find. To find a "matching #" on my/our shores is a bit like finding a Unicorn horn.
    The,, "it didnt" refers to your ""no response"" comment ,, I commented.
    Sorry for the rather cryptic earlier post,, I must learn to FOCUS better.
    Hope Queensland is good and Darwin gets missed by Marcus.

Mark

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Frank,

You sure know how to hit the nerves here! Global liquidity should prompt a name change to Early 911S Registry, Valuation Service and Clearinghouse LOL

Anyway, you have the kind of mind that would appreciate this article, particularly when it comes to matching number cases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilateral_monopoly And this good article about Nash equlibrium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bargaining_problem.

The short version is that a bilateral monopoly exists between the buyer and the seller-- because the counterparty is the only one who is positioned to pay the most. To everyone else, it's just a non-matching numbers case, so there's no premium on the number. But if the seller's price is too high, the buyer will buy another case and the premium disappears.

How do you win a bilateral monopoly? (If anyone studied economics at the University of Chicago, please don't answer, I want to see if Frank has thought this one through)

I've spent the last 21 years thinking about these kinds of problems and I think I know the answer.

And after you answer (if you have any gas left for this thread) I have a follow up question called the "Model T Problem."
    Interesting.
    21 years, huh? What other hobbies do you have?

As I've stated earlier in this thread, my solution is painless for the chassis owner; the case owner contributes said case for a 17% stake in the rolling asset. Truly a Win-Win.

My other solution is to simply wait til the chassis owner croaks. Me or one of my young associates will purchase it. In that scenario I would also be willing to trade a casket + cash for the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Interesting.
    21 years, huh? What other hobbies do you have?

As I've stated earlier in this thread, my solution is painless for the chassis owner; the case owner contributes said case for a 17% stake in the rolling asset. Truly a Win-Win.

My other solution is to simply wait til the chassis owner croaks. Me or one of my young associates will purchase it. In that scenario I would also be willing to trade a casket + cash for the chassis.

I think you are begging for some pretty nasty commentsName:  popcorn_jon_stewart.gif
Views: 189
Size:  472.0 KB

I love Friday nights. Goose Island Matilda try it you'll like it.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelaiellosr View Post
    I think you are begging for some pretty nasty comments
    Now you’re catching on.

Now your catching on

DEFINITION MUSEUM CURATOR>>>>

"As a museum or gallery curator, you'll manage collections of artefacts or works of art. ... It can be a varied job and often includes other activities, such as """managing public relations""", marketing, fundraising and running education programmes - the role often overlaps with that of a museum/gallery exhibitions officer."

It is apparent that you are well qualified for the job in general.

If you did however consider a job at the Tate Gallery, there may be only one area that may require a delicate amount of alteration to your subtle nuances,,,

At least you can have a laugh on a couple of these threads

Mark