Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirror Experts - Please chime in

Jim,what is the reference to the "stationary bolt".All of the mirrors I have seen have the stationary bolt on one end and a sliding bolt on the other.Is there some other configuration.

Thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
    I came across this large Durant mirror and would like to know from the experts if it’s original.
    It has not been mentioned yet that the original Durant mirrors were manufactured by W. MALL KG, in the German town of Markgröningen.
    MALL was a major supplier of mirrors for Porsche in the early years.

Here is an ad in a German auto accessory publication from 1959.

Name:  DSCN0142.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  79.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I bought a couple mirrors on the recommendation of someone else on these forums that had precut glass in the correct size. I only had to pop the glass out of the new mirrors and install it in the Durants. I'll check this weekend when I'm at my shop and post the maker and part number.
    Thanks JP!

Quote Originally Posted by 71-911T View Post
    Jim,what is the reference to the "stationary bolt".All of the mirrors I have seen have the stationary bolt on one end and a sliding bolt on the other.Is there some other configuration.

Thanks David
    David

On the correct and the early repro mirrors only one of the bolts slid in a channel and one was stationary (refer to pictures in this thread). The current lousy repop mirrors have both bolts that slide in a channel. Hope this doesn't confuse you. Reading my description, it kind of confuses me.................

Regards

Jim

I have a mirror with the correct stamping, came in a Durant box from Elevenparts, but no fixed stud: I guess that means it is a re-pop?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    I have a mirror with the correct stamping, came in a Durant box from Elevenparts, but no fixed stud: I guess that means it is a re-pop?
    Steve, please post photos of the box. Does the box have a manufacturer's name on it?
    Durant is the name of a mirror design, not a manufacturer.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Sorry for the delay: not been well. Here are some pictures:

Name:  5655BDA6-365F-4B1D-A023-94EDEDB779A1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  8D48FA0D-73B3-462F-958A-9A90836F5278.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  5C98D2A6-C526-4458-9F4D-42C103F6620E.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  0786799C-2AD2-42D9-B02B-F8BF8A833840.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  A9C654C0-5A76-45B2-809B-514B76BC427F.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  95.2 KB

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Stephen, if you go to the Elevenparts website and search "Durant", you will find "NEW reproduction of the MALL Durant outside mirror".
    https://www.elevenparts.com/search.php?q=durant

There is also a photo of an original MALL mirror and MALL box for comparison, and other previous reproduction Durants...
    https://www.elevenparts.com/viewer.p.../1078/DSC01667

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

That clarifies things: thanks Jon...

Member #1616

So much to learn. This forum is full of interesting stuff