Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7R Fuchs....

darren, what seats do you have in your R-replica?

best

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    Yes that's pretty much it Saskia.......a racing, or RSR if you prefer, simply leaves the petals unpolished and look pretty cool imo.

The build of my modified orange car was inspired by early race cars and when Harvey W suggested Deep 6's and 7R's in a racing finish was the look to go for I had to agree .......

....I've actually no idea why the wheels were finished this way........maybe someone can educate us?

Cheers,
    Would be curious to hear from Harvey on this, as I've always wondered about the above on 6R and 7R wheels—I can't remember seeing a photo of either without clear anodized on the faces of the petals. My take has been that the later 7s, 8s, 9s, and 15s in "racing finishes" are only clear anodized (over polished alloy) on the lips and rough anodized on the spoke faces with black inlays, while the 6R and 7R still had polished/clear on the spoke faces—so the "racing finish" on these was either the standard finish or on rare occasions "black paint delete." Here to learn, and have always been curious about this.

Nice looking wheels and tires, Darren! Would love to hear more about your take on the handling and ride characteristics of the CN36s and CR6ZZs. I'm currently on the hardest compound Avons, and have been thinking about the P6000s or CN36s. It's great that we have a few choices now...

Quote Originally Posted by recaro View Post
    darren, what seats do you have in your R-replica?
    ....certainly R-inspired Recaro although I'd say some distance from an R-replica although appreciate where you're coming from and thank you....

...seats are an 'ST' drivers and 'R' passenger from Vintage Seats, highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    Would be curious to hear from Harvey on this, as I've always wondered about the above on 6R and 7R wheels—I can't remember seeing a photo of either without clear anodized on the faces of the petals. My take has been that the later 7s, 8s, 9s, and 15s in "racing finishes" are only clear anodized (over polished alloy) on the lips and rough anodized on the spoke faces with black inlays, while the 6R and 7R still had polished/clear on the spoke faces—so the "racing finish" on these was either the standard finish or on rare occasions "black paint delete." Here to learn, and have always been curious about this.

Nice looking wheels and tires, Darren! Would love to hear more about your take on the handling and ride characteristics of the CN36s and CR6ZZs. I'm currently on the hardest compound Avons, and have been thinking about the P6000s or CN36s. It's great that we have a few choices now...
    ...I do believe you're correct Stout, my understanding is that the racing finish only came about on the later racing cars which is why I guess it's more commonly known as an RSR finish......For me it was purely a visual thing, totally wrong on Deep 6 and 7R's but then there's not much 'correct' with my car so I get to do as I please and do think they look pretty damn cool .....would still love to know why/how the racing came about?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    We are indeed lucky now to have a broader choice of tire......in all honestly I would never have switched from Avons, three sets in and have loved every single mile, however I switched from Michelin XWX's to CN36's on my 2.4E, 185/70's all round, and boy did I notice a difference....I posted this elsewhere at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65
    I am in shock! :shock:

When MOTing my 2.4E the tester said my front tyres are borderline advisory so with the trip to CLM coming up I decided to invest in a set of CN36's.....fitted these yesterday and decided to take the car out for a 'quick' spin.....

.....suffice to say I cannot believe the difference a tyre could make to the handling of my car, truly staggering!!!

To be fair to the comparison my old XWX's were well worn at the front on the outer edges and had done nearly 18,000 miles, they were also dated 2011 and fitted a couple of years before the car went on the road.

Heading out on some dual carriageway to get the tyres warm my initial impression was the steering felt a fair bit lighter and noticably so around a few roundabouts as I headed for a stretch of road leading from Latton to Kempsford, a twisty B-road with some great bends but with a terrible bouncy surface in places. Previously I felt I was fighting the car in tight turns with the old XWX's but now it's far smoother. Taking it steady to start the car felt great on the road, so good in fact I turned around and drove the road again pushing a bit harder. By the third run I was really pushing and was amazed at how much of a difference the tyres could make soaking up the poor surface and revelling at being pushed hard into the turns as I took the long way around the bends to accentuate the curves. My fourth run up the road was bonkers, the steering wheel felt like silk in my hands and I was laughing as I drove, the tyres taking way more than I thought I could throw at them giving a satisfying squeal as I went from bend to bend.

Only a planned night out dragged me home, my wife thinking I'm nuts waxing lyrical about a set of tyres!........it was more than tyres to me, it felt like having a new toy!

The XWX is a great tyre but from my initial impression I think the CN36 is a whole different level if you enjoy driving enthusiastically.......highly recommended!

Cheers,
    .....I've only done a few hundred miles on the wider CN36 in the Mongrel, the performance difference was less noticeable compared against Avons and didn't have the same 'wow' factor as my initial impression. I'd say the CN36 has a softer sidewall and generally feels a little softer all round with a bit more slip which some may prefer but still has amazing overall grip. I'd say it's a more general road focused tire overall. Both wonderful rubber, my preference is still Avon but that could change as I get to know the CN36 more.

HTH.

Cheers,

I have a pair of Fuchs 9" x15" dated 6/72. As far as I know these were used on a competition 911 and then stored for around 30 years. The "petals" (spokes) were not polished or indeed had any texture. They were dull grey in colour and were anodised. The petals had fine concentric scratch marks on them which appear to have been as a result of finishing with a large and coarse 'polishing' mop the diameter of the inside of the wheel. This feature is also present on a pair of 7" x 15" I have dated 12/72. My guess is that Fuchs did not have the ability to economically polish the face of the petals. (There may be evidence to the contrary). If my assumption is correct the current method by some of lightly texturing the petals to make them dull on appearance is not "correct".

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    If you could show us some pictures that would be great. Thanks

Cees

Too late Cees. I have started a restoration on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    . . . Too late . . . started a restoration . . .

Hhhhhh . . .

We Can Be Heroes