Thread: Pop out quarter window-outer seal to body fit

Pop out quarter window-outer seal to body fit

I finally got these quarter windows installed and working (mostly) properly. But there's an area that has me worried a bit. The window seems like it could be a little longer, maybe 1/4" or so. The outer lip of the seal is not making firm contact with the body at the rearmost point of the opening, where it makes the deep curve. I can physically press a finger onto the seal and it will fold into the gap. There's a lot of space there. The inner lips of the seal DO make good firm compressing contact with the hump on the deco strip and against the welting. I don't think water is going to get in (haven't tested) but I'd sure like to have some more lines of defence in the form of the outer lips. I just don't see a way of physically adjusting these frames rearward. Tweaking the mounting plates up front doesn't seem possible either. What are my options?

Name:  20180323_165126.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  81.3 KB
    Early S Registry Member #3291

Still hunting for my dad's (Roger Abraham) '70T Coupe in Light Ivory
    Purchased new from Gruber Porsche Cedar Rapids, IA

I ran into a similar fitment issue years ago. I found that latching the window closed before tightening the 4 B pillar Allen heads helps. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Mine does the opposite, with more overlap than why seems right,...I really like Haasman’s idea.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

The mounting tabs to the 'B' pillar have subtle bends to them. I always mark them so as to install back in the same place. You may have to remove the quarter window and stick the tabs in a vise and get some slight bend to them,,,,if Jeff's method doesn't work.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I think it important to add that the tabs are really there for correct location, not to adjust. Ed's comments regarding the tabs being adjusted is spot on.

One car I had a very difficult time removing the lower tab from the B pillar oddly enough. Rusted? It was bent in the process and had to be adjusted.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d7206efa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Great tips Ed and Haasman. Thanks.

Is the bend a single bend? Or more of a dog leg? I would think a single bend would just pivot the window and not actually move it rearwards.
    Early S Registry Member #3291

Still hunting for my dad's (Roger Abraham) '70T Coupe in Light Ivory
    Purchased new from Gruber Porsche Cedar Rapids, IA

A single bend. Pull the window out and look carefully at the tabs from the top, see if you can detect any bend. Possible you may have just put them in backwards from the way they came out.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.