Thread: Current SWB ball joint offerings - Sebro / "Sebro Style" etc

Current SWB ball joint offerings - Sebro / "Sebro Style" etc

I'm looking to do a full front suspension on a '65 project and my ball joints are clearly torn and spent, possibly original. In general I'm using all Elephant stock replacement bushings but not sure which way to go on the ball joints. I want to get it right since they're pricey. Not looking for any additional performance/adjustability.

I see Sebro brand offered many places, here's one example https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/S9-90134104704

and "Sebro Style" at elephant. https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...le-ball-joints

I'm looking too, you should check Ebay as the prices are much better than the two links you posted.

There is nothing wrong with the Sebro manufactured Ball Joints - we have used them for some time now and never had issues.

Front control arm bushes are never quite correct compared to the parts now available.

The ID of the original bush is around 300mm and this presses onto the control arm which is around 35.5mm diameter.

Porsche supply a bush with the correct 30mm ID and a 914 based part number but it is a little short at about 35mm long.

This works well on later arms as when fitted to the outer housings they stretch to about 55mm long and produce a significant degree of radial compression in the rubber which locates the arm well.

When they are clamped up in the early car I feel that they are just a bit short and the early bushes were longer but still generated a high degree of radial compression.

Some of the aftermarket bushes are around 40mm long which helps but they have a 34mm ID which reduces the radial compression and reduces the rubber stiffness, which in turn means that the arms doesn't locate quite as well as on the original car.

As we are always replacing worn bushes there is, however, an improvement but perhaps it isn't as good as it could be.

We generally prefer the longer bush but we 'sleeve' the end of the control arm to 38.5mm diameter to increase the radial compression when fitting a bush with a 34mm ID.

I think these ball joints are the same in the links above. With that in mind, Elephant has all the "other" stuff, except Koni's (Paragon perhaps, good $) but Elephant does an excellent full service on control arm, trailing, and swing plate refurbishment that is very good, and very professional. Elephant also is very familiar with SWB vs LWB suspensions, is a supporter of the community blah blah. With that said, I would purchase the Sebro ball joints from the cheapest place you can find them. There also is the adjustable bal joint for changing camber and stuff, I would stay away but to each his own. Bushes are a different animal, as stated very well above.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas

Bumping this up as I am refreshing the front suspension on a '68. I was considering Elephant's adjustable ball joints as they seem to provide additional camber adjustment at a minimal price premium over the standard sebro units, but I have not read a single review on them. Anyone here given them a try? I'd imaging if they are adjusted all the way in they would be the same as the stock ball joints, but could be slid out for a bit more negative camber.