Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s it worth - 1965 4.5” Lemmerz steel wheel

It’s ok.
    It’s not my wheel and for sure it’s not riveted...
    Just thought it belonged in a period car rather than mismatched in a ‘70T

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    Dont quit your job. Its not an aluminum rim riveted to a steel center like they are hinting at. You would know that wheel as soon as you lift it.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    A while back, I sold a pair with slightly earlier date stamps (February & March 1965) for $ 200/each. They needed rechroming and the old tires disposed of, too.

The buyer was very happy to get those date stamps.

My understanding is also that 3.9 is the thickness (3.7 on 356 wheels). Some very rough calculations suggest that would make a weight difference on the order of one pound.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

6Kx15 ALL aluminum/riveted wheel...... 9.75 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images     

It is my understanding that the 3.9 is the steel wheel metal thickness. Adding thickness dimension started with a change to the 2ltr 356 4 cam cars because of the extra wheel strength thought needed.
    The 2ltr early 911 used the 356 Carrera as it's performance bench mark and those 130 HP requirements requiring a stronger wheel for the new model.

Note the 3.7 thickness had date stamps overlaping both 356 and 911 production from 1964 well into the 1965/66 model years production.

I'm guessing it was - Same wheel manufacturer, same time frame, built to different spec's because of power demands.

Love the photos of the correct grey paint color in the wheel hub, Thanks for posting this.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    So that would make the 3.7 a lightweight wheel?
    No, the Carrera 2 C Cars got a 3.9 wheel which was heavier because of the increased HP of the 4-cam. The 911's all got the 3.9. The only time I definitely say that a wheel is a Carrera 2 wheel is when it dated 63 or 64, once it's 65 it's probably 911 since there were only 7 356 C Carrera's 2's built after Sept. of 64.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    No, the Carrera 2 C Cars got a 3.9 wheel which was heavier because of the increased HP of the 4-cam. The 911's all got the 3.9. The only time I definitely say that a wheel is a Carrera 2 wheel is when it dated 63 or 64, once it's 65 it's probably 911 since there were only 7 356 C Carrera's 2's built after Sept. of 64.

---Adam
    Adam

How can you "definitely" say it was a Carrera 2 wheel when 901/911s were produced in those months?
    There are many photos of 901s with steel wheels and "no Crest" hub caps. All of those hub caps are dated 3/63. Not trying to start a pissing contest, just curious.

Your Friend

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Adam

How can you "definitely" say it was a Carrera 2 wheel when 901/911s were produced in those months?
    There are many photos of 901s with steel wheels and "no Crest" hub caps. All of those hub caps are dated 3/63. Not trying to start a pissing contest, just curious.

Your Friend

Jim
    It would be period correct for a Carrera 2 produced in the same month, therefore you could put it with that car and say it is correct. For example, if you owned 131002 which was produced on August 26th of 1964, and found a wheel dated 8/64 that was a 3.9, you could put it with your car and call it correct. Now that wheel may have been on a very early 911 or 912, but it would be correct for a Carrera 2 if the dates matched.
    I'm not going to argue with you on the other point...

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Other point? You mean my absolute, irrefutable, claim that all "plain, no crest, disc brake hub caps" have 3/63 date stamps on them? If you have any of them, you can see for yourself.

Ciao

Jim

A 1957 Carrera speedster 12306 that I use to own had annular disk brakes and I sourced 4 steel alloy wheels 5x15 that were dated 5-65 I think that Porsche made a run of some replacement steel alloy wheels for both for the large and small bolt patterns.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
    A 1957 Carrera speedster 12306 that I use to own had annular disk brakes and I sourced 4 steel alloy wheels 5x15 that were dated 5-65 I think that Porsche made a run of some replacement steel alloy wheels for both for the large and small bolt patterns.

Regards
    I can attest to this, I've have steel/alloy drum brake wheels that were dated post production. They were still racing in 65, right?

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images