Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: you're 17...were u driving dad's car?.....post a pic of the model

you're 17...were u driving dad's car?.....post a pic of the model

memories...good ones I hope.

and share 1 good story involving that ride. Ill share mine in a bit...soooo many

74 Wagon....longest car ever....wow....I loved it......it had a kinda small oe steering wheel..strange I thought then even.........and it started my st wheel jones....
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry, just HAD to incl this too......

dad finds it used....1 owner...440 magnum....leather buckets!.....console shift.......burgundy...........Im driving it the 1 st week he owned it...on Belt Pkwy in Bklyn NY...doing like 90..shes a beast..I crest a rolling hill and on other side a car is on its effing roof....its roof?....I had to side swipe another car to avoid plowing into it.......pops trashed it..... we werent rich...at all......he saved every penny........my dad was great...tuff but strong and loving.....he gave me a looooong talk.......i was good from then on

...tales of motor cars/foolish youth.

Arrived at my local pub in Wimbledon Village in a new red Ferrari 308 GTS back in the early eighties. Bar was extra busy as it was during the famous tennis championships fortnight but amazingly got a parking position right outside the window, right alongside the many drinkers who lined the street.

Never having fitted the roof panel, the self conscious attempts to secure the new car from accidental spilled ale and carelessly discarded cigarette ends of the nearby drinkers drew their attention as it descended into farce -- including at one point the roof section being dropped on my mate's head after he got in to push it home.

Gauche youths trying to be sophisticated and cool in a flashy new sportscar. Broke the ice however as the onlookers found the antics quite amusing. Even got a small round of applause as we entered the bar.

Photo of the black 328 that replaced that red 308 a few years later. Another adventure (same pal): a naive optimistic yarn about mistaken car identity spun to escape a speeding ticket after police eventually caught up an hour later didn't work when it was proved there were only two RHD black 328 GTS examples in the UK at that time. The other one was at dealer over 300 miles away at the time so excuse didn't wash.
    image.jpg
    I couldn't have grown a Magnum PI moustache at that age.

This week went to the Ferrari exhibition at the London design museum in Kensington with a couple of friends which had already brought back distant memories and already triggered me to dig out old these photos from when I was younger.
    https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions...under-the-skin
    One exhibit among many interesting rare things on show was a unique cabriolet Testarossa that had belonged to agneli
    http://www.thedrive.com/vintage/831/...nvertible-ever

Testarossa with lid parked outside my parent's place; very eighties excess. No memorable stories about that one other than it felt quite a responsibility to drive it.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I feel fortunate to have been trusted to drive these and other nice things when relatively young. Didn't ever break or crash any of them however. Insurance cover for drivers of similar youngish age for powerful sportscars would be a big challenge these days, here the UK. Probably was easier to get cover for the youthful to drive these things back in early to mid eighties despite few drivers aids. Most "kids" I know are now forced driving small-capacity engine cars over here due to insurance. Others aren't even bothering to learn to drive (or buy) if they are in big cities like London, they seem to just use things like όber.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-09-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add photo

Cool

Well at 18 it was my '54 VW, but at 17 it wasn't my Dad's car.... but my friend's cars

- '55 Chevy 2 door post 235 straight 6 - 3 on the column (dead reliable)
    - Took my drivers license test in my friend's '58 Chevy Impala convertible 283 V8 - 2 speed Powerglide (CRAZY 301 rebuild after)
    - '49 Chrysler L-head 6 - 3 on the column (could not kill this car... drove it the junkyard)
    - '54 Buick Special 264 nailhead V8 - Hydromatic (dirt track'n in the Sepulveda Basin)
    - '57 Ford 2 door Ranchwagon, 292 V8 - Ford-o-matic (before we cruised we ALWAYS took off the hubcaps and air cleaner)

Kind'a like these... if these were all beaters....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck . Have u seen Leno's 55 Buick...omg...check it out if not

911MRP.......now you are just showing off.....joking of course........... btw, u remind me of Mark Webber...F1

...big differences are...Mark Webber can drive them properly, grow a magnum PI moustache and easily afford to buy such cars himself at a young age

Yeah but if you look at the other side of the "difference" coin,,, You didnt break or crash any of them,
    Mark

At 17 had a 37 ford, don't have any pictures.

Thumbs up

At 17 had a 37 ford, don't have any pictures.
    That's pretty cool.......

Up until about 30 years ago '37/'38's were considered 'Ugly Ducklings'...
    Somewhere style wise between the coveted '36's and the more coveted '39/'40's..............

That all changed when you could afford them... and not the others...

Now they're some of the handsomest classics and hotrods around...

... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

My first "car"...'55 Ford F-100...that's me on the left...sold a bike and bought it for $350...junior in high school..about 1978l. One day, I will have one again.
    Last edited by 72targa; 04-11-2018 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Added year
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100