Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correct 1967 Euro license plate?

the black french is right, but wrong in the way that the code of the department would be also listed on the number plate..75 for paris f.i.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    the black french is right, but wrong in the way that the code of the department would be also listed on the number plate..75 for paris f.i.
    Haul is correct, French license plate came in either square or long, depending on the car and owner's choice and would have been 123 AB 75 for example with 75 being Paris, or 31 being Toulouse, etc.. (95 departments/states in france, each at the end of the licence plate) after the eighties, departments, mostly paris and suburbs had first 4 digits, then later 3 letters instead of two.. Now all license plates have lost the department number at the end

Quote Originally Posted by tomster View Post
    License plates up to March 12, 1971 were non-reflective. So you might be able to check with the ones from your collection.
    Hi very informative writeup, but I really doubt the matter of reflectiveness.
    License plates up to March 12, 1971 were non-reflective. But afterwards you had the choice of reflective or non-reflective until late 80s. I remember being able to choose reflective or non-reflective on my first cars. That was ca. 1987 until ca. 1990 from then reflective was mandatory.
    Porsche was indeed using Stuttgart Ost as Zollamt for their Zollkennzeichen which was located in the Güterbahnhof Bad Cannstatt

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The silver on black QS 7967 plates might be British "temporary import" plates (Wikipedia & worldlicenseplates.com).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

This discussion is awesome!! and all in one day's work.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    Hi very informative writeup, but I really doubt the matter of reflectiveness.
    License plates up to March 12, 1971 were non-reflective. But afterwards you had the choice of reflective or non-reflective until late 80s. I remember being able to choose reflective or non-reflective on my first cars. That was ca. 1987 until ca. 1990 from then reflective was mandatory.
    Porsche was indeed using Stuttgart Ost as Zollamt for their Zollkennzeichen which was located in the Güterbahnhof Bad Cannstatt
    Uli, you are perfectly right. I wrote this up just to have a second line of validation. If a Zollkennzeichen from Jim's wife's collection has a reflective plate it could not possibly be the one off the '67 car.
    But I guess that discussion is kinda needless. After having read the initial posting again I realized that the car's VIN was written to the back of one set. That pretty much kills all associated discussion around it ;-)
    Glad though, that you read my stuff and corrected it.
    Grüßle,
    Tom

Great thread. Now there can be a bit better discussion about the tourists plates so proudly displayed on our ‘59A and ‘71T.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
    Great thread. Now there can be a bit better discussion about the tourists plates so proudly displayed on our ‘59A and ‘71T. Thank you!
    Submit pictures so that we know what you want to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    Submit pictures so that we know what you want to discuss.
    It seems that my reply was not written very well. Usually a discussion starts when asked about the plate at C & C with my response of; Don't know other than they are tourist plates and that they were in the garage when we bought the house back in 1999.

Armed with this information, can hold a reasonably correct conversation about the plates.

According the the information contained in this thread, the set we have would be from the latter part of 1977 to the point of the reflector plates with the "Bundesfinanzverwaltung D" (federal financial administration) on them.

Obviously now, no longer can say "don't know."

Thanks for your request.

DJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

1967 German tourist plate on Sam's car

Pictured is a 1967 911S with its German tourist plate.

The production date of the car is July 1967 and it is pictured at Terminal Island upon delivery in Long Beach in October that same year.

I do not have any knowledge of German tourist plates, but given the photo evidence, this must be the correct 1967 German tourist plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Flunder; 04-19-2018 at 06:31 AM.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165