Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correct 1967 Euro license plate?

Thanks everyone for your help. I am feeling more comfortable that the “528” plates are correct for the 911.

I suspect that the “228” plate might have come from a 356, the “675” plate from a 1970’s BMW Bavaria, and the “886” plate from a 1986 BMW 323i.

My father-in-law told stories about buying a tiny two-cylinder car for an extended European honeymoon (possibly starting in France) in ~1953. Do any of the black-background plates look like they could have come from that car?

Here is a question... My 68 911S was purchased new by a German man in Germany. In speaking with the original owners son who still lives in Germany he said his father purchased a new 911 every two years and always in light ivory. Here is a photo of the car being loaded in Germany when he took it on a business trip to the USA yet it has tourist plates ?

Name:  My 1968 911S 4.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  141.3 KB
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Export plates to be precise.
    Just an idea:
    I guess the car was put on Zoll plates because the owner was planning on registering the car in the US for his business trip and selling it afterwards over there.
    While putting it on export plates he was VAT refunded upon leaving the harbour in GER.

Yes, it is faithfully waiting for me to give it some exercise and a bath ...

Quote Originally Posted by H-viken View Post
    Jim, any idea what happened to the car?
    Name:  IMG_1437.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  155.5 KB

Does anyone know what year the "Stuttgart Ost" medallions on the oval export plates changed from red (as in the "228" plate) to black (as in the "528" plates)?

Or do the colors have some other significance?

BTW: I still need help on rotating photos. Is there a thread on that?

Thanks again for everyone's help. This forum is an incredible resource.

Name:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  140.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jfadams View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. I am feeling more comfortable that the “528” plates are correct for the 911.

I suspect that the “228” plate might have come from a 356, the “675” plate from a 1970’s BMW Bavaria, and the “886” plate from a 1986 BMW 323i.

My father-in-law told stories about buying a tiny two-cylinder car for an extended European honeymoon (possibly starting in France) in ~1953. Do any of the black-background plates look like they could have come from that car?
    That tiny car would no doubt be the Citroen 2CV ,commonly referred to as the "deux chevaux"

Name:  2CV.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  150.7 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelaiellosr View Post
    That tiny car would no doubt be the Citroen 2CV ,commonly referred to as the "deux chevaux"
    Also commonly referred to as the Duck (canard), and also the Tin Snail (escargot d'étain). If you wish to own one, check Bring-a-Trailer: 1981 Citroën 2CV6 Spécial. The auction closes 12:20 PM, Monday, 23 April 2018.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    Also commonly referred to as the Duck (canard), and also the Tin Snail (escargot d'étain). If you wish to own one, check Bring-a-Trailer: 1981 Citroën 2CV6 Spécial. The auction closes 12:20 PM, Monday, 23 April 2018.
    Being French and having had several 2CV in my family it's the first time I hear that they were called the Escargot or Canard. But a 'Deuch' (pronounced DuhShh) would be more like it

FWIW to me, the Citreon "deuch" value and collectability ranks the same as the Russian Trabant.....both of them being a douche

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Admittedly, I have no reason to believe anyone has ever called a 2CV either a Canard or an Escargot d'Étain in the French language. However, the English Duck and Tin Snail are used. Canard and Escargot d'Étain may not be sufficiently concise to be catchy. The Russian word for duck: утка (ootka) has the right sound.

Frankly, the 2CV strikes me as a wonderful piece of engineering. The folks at Citroën actually managed to build something useful to a very low price point. The 1981 Citroën 2CV6 Spécial sold on Bring-a-Trailer today for $18,900.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet