Thread: How to go about finding a car's history?

How to go about finding a car's history?

Hello to all.
    I am new to Porsche ownership, and to this forum. I am trying to find out a little of my vehicles history.
    Started life as a 76 S slant nose.
    Ex Japan.
    Vehicles Documentation lost over time.
    imported to Australia by previous owner before being left idle for some time.
    Chap I bought it of converted to its current form
    73 RS Tribute / replica.
    No longer matching numbers as the 2.7 engine was swapped for a 3.0
    Chassis # is 9116300013
    Many thanks in advance.

There were no factory slantnoses available to the general public in 1976. The first slantnose appeared during the 1976 racing season, and it took some time to become a factory option. 9116300013 was the third of it's series built, probably in July 1975; so a year before the slantnose first appeared. Hard to believe it was a Japanese version; they had their own VIN series beginning at 9116100011. I assume your car is a left hand drive version? Possibly the Australian members might remember the car. It is very interesting to have such an early car. It is possible to learn the original engine #, and one may be able to find out where it was originally sold also.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Many thanks for your reply. The verbal history I am told that, it found its way to Japan. The bought and imported to Australia by an Australian doctor, with the aim of restoring / converting, but the car sat in his car for quite some time totally untouched. That is until approx 2015? A young lad fully stripped, & converted to current spec. RSR 73 tribute. Car remains factory LHD. I am also told that its not uncommon for imported cars to Japan to remain in factory spec i:e, LHD. many thanks for your reply, I'll work on the original engine number.

Ok, thanks to the previous owner, the original engine # for my car is/was 6360035. And yes, he confirmed that it was NOT an original slant nose. that obvious conversion came later, perhaps, prior, or while in Japan.. Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    There were no factory slantnoses available to the general public in 1976. The first slantnose appeared during the 1976 racing season, and it took some time to become a factory option. 9116300013 was the third of it's series built, probably in July 1975; so a year before the slantnose first appeared. Hard to believe it was a Japanese version; they had their own VIN series beginning at 9116100011. I assume your car is a left hand drive version? Possibly the Australian members might remember the car. It is very interesting to have such an early car. It is possible to learn the original engine #, and one may be able to find out where it was originally sold also.
    Thank you davep for your reply. Been a long road getting the cars engine sorted. Now running as she should. My cars original 2.7 engine # is 6360035. now running a 3.0 EFI set up. Thanks again.