Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Any vintage VWs fans here ?

Mmmmm, Lowlight Ghias are like pre-A 356's. Perfect lines. Congrats, Chris.

My bus is waiting for an upholsterer to do the upper interior panels so I can install glass. And the lovely little T34 we got a few months ago has needed a heart transplant.
    Without ripping on the guy that restored the car 10 years ago, the internals of the engine were absolute junk. After a couple hundred miles I noted a rattle every time it started or stopped.
    Thought it might simply be the fan but noooo... crank was shot (10th of an inch of play at both ends) and the case, worse.

20190723_095814.jpg

20190729_144955.jpg

So, bought the 1776 kit from Berg Enterprises. New case, balanced and blueprinted every component, doweled counter weighted crank, added full-flow oiling, etc, etc. Runs like it should.
    Hoping to have this ready to ship for a vintage rally in Ontario in two weeks, still need to lower the suspension an inch and put some mileage on before it goes.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Bullethead; 08-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

IMG_0149.jpgIMG_0147.jpg

57 purchased from an enthusiast who went a bit over board. Comes with an Allstate trailer that carries a vintage Heidelberg Keg. Since these photos I have adjusted the ride height upward and removed some of the over camber. Much fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Mmmmm, Lowlight Ghias are like pre-A 356's. Perfect lines. Congrats, Chris.

My bus is waiting for an upholsterer to do the upper interior panels so I can install glass. And the lovely little T34 we got a few months ago has needed a heart transplant.
    Without ripping on the guy that restored the car 10 years ago, the internals of the engine were absolute junk. After a couple hundred miles I noted a rattle every time it started or stopped.
    Thought it might simply be the fan but noooo... crank was shot (10th of an inch of play at both ends) and the case, worse.

So, bought the 1776 kit from Berg Enterprises. New case, balanced and blueprinted every component, doweled counter weighted crank, added full-flow oiling, etc, etc. Runs like it should.
    Hoping to have this ready to ship for a vintage rally in Ontario in two weeks, still need to lower the suspension an inch and put some mileage on before it goes.

Wish me luck.

Keen to see some pictures when its ready to go.

Always loved VWs. My first car was a 64 bug that I stuffed a 356A 1600 Super in. I've got a 66 1300 bug, 66 walk thru 11 window bus , 79 convert. and a 1985 Vanagon westfalia. We just took the Vanagon to Oshkosh for the air show and camped with it. I modified the looks with a Porsche SC, Carrera style bumper in the front and back. (2 fronts and 2 rears cut in half then stretched in the middle) Frenched in the stock turn signals up front and kept the park lights and turn signals in the stock Porsche location. Also stretched a stock Porsche front valence to fit under the bumper. In the back I removed the VW tail light assemblies and made some louvers which also help cool the engine bay. I wrapped the rear bumper around enough to fit stock Porsche rear tail light assemblies. This allowed me to build a 2 bike carrier and not obstruct the tail lights. Engine was going to be Porsche but so far just a rebuilt 1.9 with larger jugs and oil pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche-RSR View Post
    It's been too long since I've driven this one..

Attachment 472541
    This one is up for sale if someone is interested... :-)
    - twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car

Baja!

My latest. This was a bit of an impulse buy....complete with metal flake paint

I'm thinking about painting it Mango Green - time will tell! I keep laughing about how cheap parts are compared to a Porsche!
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Cool. A baja has long been on my bucket list.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    My current '67 will eventually hit BaT auctions. Original to the bone, paint, interior, all metal, bumpers, wheels & caps, engine/tranny and all the often missing, and hard to find, '67 only parts. I'm currently caring for the only rust, battery floor, with new metal and a couple of other tidying bits. The most complete and original '67 I have seen. If anyone has real interest in this car prior to auction (about a month out) message me. Known history since new.
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Nice car Peter....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Nice looking engine Eric

My late 59 vert is also finish in the next weeks , org vegas car, zero rust
    car is done, but just at the interior guys for the roof job , pics from the paint booth
    in Denmark we have strict rules on engine power, not som much oversize is allowed most guys keep it stock
    just just had the fresh rebuild 1600 with a few twist it should have around 70 horses

so next time you come by Eric, we take it for a spin on the Strandvejen :-)

Marek