Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1972/1973 “white cover” Luxury Brochure and foldouts: exists a 72 english version ?

I forgot to check Charlie‘s book (which does has faults or I own mostly the stuff he published, so I hardly look into it) but seems he solved it, good !

Currently dont know if in 1972 there were two English versions.
    Registry member No.773

Let's see what actual 72 brochure examples (if any) get posted by contributors here.

Edit: Having read those posts of input from Charlie White I'm still not yet totally convinced this is full evidence of 72 in English. Comments about the references in narrative might be pertaining to the early German version. The .23 maybe referring to,later one. Both of which we already know exist!

If I'm wrong I'll buy you the beer when we meet at the RAC when you're next over here as discussed. If no 72 in English posted your shout at bar!

With such high stakes, I want to see English language 1006.23 or .20 reference and "three car lineup" picture in English from an actual publication, not from interpreting the caption narrative
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-01-2018 at 10:34 AM.

I have both 72 and 73 in English.
    What exactly would you like me to photo document?
    Curiously the 72 version shows a 71 engine and the 73 brochure has a 72 engine pictured
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

The english wording in both editions. Steve thinks there was an UK english as well as a US english version for 1973, maybe also for 1972.

Also if the english 1972 version is similar in layout as the German 1972 edition, see post 1.
    Thx.

Btw yes, the 1972 edition was using some late 1971 images as does the 1973 edition by showing pics shot in spring 1972.
    Registry member No.773

Hi Bob

As mentioned I have two versions in English that are presumed to be later 73
    probably so that is not in question -- both mine are showing the page with four cars lined up of which one is a 2.7 s prototype of sorts indicating model year 73

The question is are there four different versions in English. 72 and 73 For each of Vw Porsche for ROW and Porsche Audi North America.

i have my doubts about all four versions existing in English , but I might be wrong

There aren't page numbers afaik so...

The clincher to show at least one English version existed for 72 would would be to show the equivalent picture below Karim posted of "three car lineup" where there is English wording rather than his German content.

In other words show either an American and or English page equivalent of the German page uppermost in this picture please:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 204
Size:  103.3 KB

That would then be evidence of three English language versions

From there the next step would be for somone to show a VW Porsche and Audi Porsche version of the earlier 72 version to prove there are four. This picture below of my two shows there are two versions for 73 one being ROW and other being Americas

Views: 203
Size:  125.9 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Name:  A3111DB4-9F7F-4A76-8A43-72E2CA6A3EFA.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  117.9 KB
    1972 on bottom 1973 on top
    Not sure if this helps
    Bob
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Yes it did thanks. So we have evidence now of three in English lower is an earlier 72 edition in English presumably due to not having what is thought to be the 73 2.7 prototype

To tell if yours is ROW or USA ....Is the "fine print" reference marked VW Porsche 1006.20 or just 1006.23?

In the later 73 versions there is a RoW vs Americas difference as shown here
Views: 170
Size:  125.9 KB
    Vw-Porsche sales organisation and its logo didn't apply in USA so document is clearly rest of world markets English as denote also by its suffix xxx.20 in the fine print. The other is North America suffix xxxx.23 but for some reason doesn't say Audi-Porsche?

To me only question remaining now following Bob's helful post is did the earlier 72 brochure, the one "with three car lineup" also have two different regional variants. One covering for north America and the other rest of world. A distinction that I've shown was was evident in the later 73 version but so far isn't proven for earlier 72 version.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Name:  FDAC7C09-5286-45DE-AF20-98E9A7C741E2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  60.6 KB
    73 on top
    72 below
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Thanks Bob. So your top one is same as the the North American example I also have and previously posted being later and signposting model 73.

You don't have the 73 rest of world version like my other one nor do you have a North American 72 version.

But interestingly you do have a rest of world model year 72 version. Your lower one with the "three car lineup " has 971 which is likely the abbreviated print date so produced at beginning of the 72 model year but with it being clearly marked VW-Porsche yours is evidently for rest of world English markets. Fact tha is also proven by 1006.20 (.20 suffix meaning English language for rest of world such as Great Britain, Australia, south africa). Not market 1006.23 so not North America ( suffix .23 means document in English for North America markets).

I daresay if you look in detail at your earlier 72 example you will find the more anglicised version of English use in certain wording ... Things like petrol as used over here rather than than gasoline used in North America etc etc. Noticeable linguistic points I've highlighted with ski read of text and quick word comparisons from my two different 73 versions in prior posts.

Question now remaining is ....will anyone post an example of the one with the "three car lineup" in English but without VW-Porsche logo and 1006.20 ROW designation?

Evidently there we have found three versions written in English based on proof posted so far: Rest of world plus North American later versions for 73 and now Bob's rest of world English earlier version for the 72 model year.

So far however no picture exists of earlier North American version of the White large format brochure!

Will it be proven by further posts that four different versions exist ...or as I suspect did North America markets only have a completely different multi page brochure in model year 72.

To me seems likely as Karim previously stated that the different example shown in photo below might have been the only multi page English brochure in the North American market for model year 72, unless further evidence is posted to prove existence of early 72 model year with reference 106.23 North American large format white brochure in that NA geographical market too!

Views: 189
Size:  63.6 KB

Still looking for white one with reference 1006.23 but with the earlier "three car photo lineup"

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-03-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Add the photo

Oh, it gets complicated.

Im pretty shure the white cover 2.4l brochure for USA markets was introduced only for 1973.
    For 1972, they used the brochure seen above, which was an updated version of their 1970/1971 „Love Story“ brochure.
    Many more article were printed for 1972 USA only, beside a foldout also a sheet, a spec sheet, Colour chart, PTD Accessory list etc..
    Registry member No.773