Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB 1968 - Best way to mount a period correct 3 points harness ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

SWB 1968 - Best way to mount a period correct 3 points harness ?

Greetings,
    I plan to install a 4 points roll cage period correct to 1968 - neither diagonal nor horizontal bar - meaning no harness shoulder mounts.
    I believe the harness were 3 points in 1967/1968 like Britax. (correct me if am wrong), the question is what were the fixing points for the shoulder belt ?

In short, show me 1967/1968 3/4 points harness setup (Ideally the one used in the 911 L Transam cars) please.
    If you could enlight me on the details too (harness ref/type etc.)

Cheers
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier,

Not wanting a Horizontal or Diagonal bar in the roll cage I believe that for the best safety application you are best to go with the Rear Parcel Tray Harness Mounts that need to be welded in.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=harness
    Mark

Mark,
    It is not I do not want horizontal/diagonal bars, it was not on the 1967/1968 rollcage - willing to be period correct.
    Thanks for the link/advise. are those parcel tray harness mount period correct for a SWB 1968 ?

I'd like to be as much as possible close to these Transam racing 911 in 1968.

Cheers
    X

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Xavier,

Not wanting a Horizontal or Diagonal bar in the roll cage I believe that for the best safety application you are best to go with the Rear Parcel Tray Harness Mounts that need to be welded in.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=harness
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Hi Xavier,
    I do believe that these were put into 68 cars and onwards, but I do understand that you are wanting to install the most accurate era correct belt connection point arrangement.
    For some strange reason I feel that I have seen a picture of a shoulder strap connection point welded in to the rear of the B pillar very low down but my mind may be playing tricks on me.
    I am also surprised that your search for this info has not had any confirming results as of yet,
    Im sure a picture or "race rules" diagram will appear soon so you can get going on the mission.
    How about a few photos of the new car, mate ?

Just as an after thought,, Did the factory supplied roll bar come with a shoulder strap connection point welded low down near the base of it.
    I only ask because from most of the photos of the race cars of that era the belts appear to just disappear over the rear of the drivers shoulder ???

A good friend of mine Mr Allen had involvement with this. It is a repo but Tony was consulted during its build, The harness system is obviously spec'd to modern requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLMgJOCILE

Enjoy
    Last edited by NZVW; 04-30-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Mark

I have spent more time inside than outside.
    Crap weather, She is dirty, not much nice pics - you'll have to wait bit

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1d6.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  99.8 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Edited my previous. Short video 4 fun

And photo of "low behind B pillar" shoulder belt ,, but I don't think much help 4 U

Name:  PastedGraphic-4.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  89.5 KB
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Edited my previous. Short video 4 fun

And photo of "low behind B pillar" shoulder belt ,, but I don't think much help 4 U

Name:  PastedGraphic-4.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  89.5 KB
    The car in the picture is a LWB car and is completely different
    Than a 68. It looks like they are using the captive nut for the inertia reel to
    Anchor the outside lap belt. Very strange IMHO.
    68 cars came with captive nuts For both a lap and shoulder belt. The lap belt mounts are not on the floor and are not ideal. The shoulder belt mount is located about half way back the opening for the quarter window near the top of the inner quarter
    Panel. All the captive nuts are 7/16 SAE thread. There are also shoulder belt mount bolts on the package tray for "Britex"
    Or equivalent competition belts.

Jim

Talking

Xavier,

Let me get this straight... If we can come up with a pre-'69 period photograph of a comp 911 roll bar with a diagonal or horizontal cross bar we just might help save you life ??? ...

And you're saying it has to be a U.S. comp car and not European... Yes?

This just might be a challenge I might take....

Who told you that no pre '69 911 in racing in the U.S. had no cross bars?
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Xavier, congratulations on your purchase. Hope to see the car in the summer at Classic Le Mans.

Lot's, not all SWB cars are fitted with the rear parcel shelf mounts. This is the best place to mount a harness. I have supplied dozens of the Britax 901 harness sets to board members over the last few years, maybe someone can chime in with there fitting solution.

Porsche racing division had a contract with Britax and there 901 harnesses were in there competition cars even beyond the use of the Repa harnesses in some instances. Privateers would obviously use what they wanted to.

Unfortunately the mounting points for the lap section of belts in a SWB are not very safe by today's standards. If you are going to attempt to add the parcel shelf mounts, then i would also add some FIA approved welded captive nut spreader plates to the inner rocker and transmission tunnel. These should be installed just off vertical towards the rear. There is plenty of harness information on the web, google is your friend.

Roll bars:

If you look at photo's of competition car threads on this board, you may notice the lack of roll bars in cars even as late as 1970 in some instances.
    What i have noticed is that a simple hoop was used on the SWB cars. Some call it the R hoop. Cars started to add the diagonal brace in the early 1970's. I have never seen a SWB factory car with a diagonal brace in an original period photo. If anyone has a picture, i would love to add it to my files.

Dave

Name:  britax history aug 71 001.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  135.9 KB

Cheers Dave,
    I do not intent to put the car in any race, more a track day car once or twice a year (I do have another toy for vintage racing), that said it is more to please myslef and get as close as possible to what was made in 68.

I checked many pictures from my library and also from this board, and have not found any pic of a roll cage with a diagonal. The 911 L 901/30 Transam (my fav is Wetson ) cars had a single hoop (no diagonal/no horizontal) - again happy to learn more.

However, I do not have details of the 3/4pts harness setup yet.

X

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Xavier, congratulations on your purchase. Hope to see the car in the summer at Classic Le Mans.

Lot's, not all SWB cars are fitted with the rear parcel shelf mounts. This is the best place to mount a harness. I have supplied dozens of the Britax 901 harness sets to board members over the last few years, maybe someone can chime in with there fitting solution.

Porsche racing division had a contract with Britax and there 901 harnesses were in there competition cars even beyond the use of the Repa harnesses in some instances. Privateers would obviously use what they wanted to.

Unfortunately the mounting points for the lap section of belts in a SWB are not very safe by today's standards. If you are going to attempt to add the parcel shelf mounts, then i would also add some FIA approved welded captive nut spreader plates to the inner rocker and transmission tunnel. These should be installed just off vertical towards the rear. There is plenty of harness information on the web, google is your friend.

Roll bars:

If you look at photo's of competition car threads on this board, you may notice the lack of roll bars in cars even as late as 1970 in some instances.
    What i have noticed is that a simple hoop was used on the SWB cars. Some call it the R hoop. Cars started to add the diagonal brace in the early 1970's. I have never seen a SWB factory car with a diagonal brace in an original period photo. If anyone has a picture, i would love to add it to my files.

Dave

Name:  britax history aug 71 001.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  135.9 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407