Thread: I'm doomed, rust rust

I'm doomed, rust rust

I'm restoring car on the budget and where I was ok with replacing floor and some other things I didn't expect that I will need replace the whole pit due to rust in that section.

Replacing part actually cost fortune and it's out of my budget at the moment which mean that project will stop for some months till I wil get money to purchase replacement panels...

Is there any option to fabricate this or its not possible and I should be not doing it ? ( I didn't do any fabrication in metal before )

Basically are there any low cost alternative ? Feedback really appreciated.

Name:  IMG_20230516_144637.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  106.2 KB

you would do yourself a big favor if you take the car apart and see were all the rust real is.
    in your picture you see obvious rust holes but you need to see the underside of the hole cowl to see if youneed to replace as one piece or patch repair
    with your lack of experience, you may want to avoid replacing the entire cowl because it is an advanced procedure

I agree with Bob ... you really need to get a clear picture of where there is rust on the car before starting to work on it ... that way you can budget both time and money according to your resources ... otherwise you could get discouraged really easily ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua3m View Post
    Basically are there any low cost alternative ? Feedback really appreciated.
    Can't say I've done it, but the idea of taking a car in your category, and blasting the metal clean of corrosion, seems appealing as a pastime, or learning experience.

https://www.ncaircompressors.com/sand-blasting.html

Thanks Bob , actually I'm taking all apart ready for hydro blasting to see where I have an issues with car. For sure where rest is really easy fix then this is for sure more complicated.

Replacing full section is from one side good option as I'm deleting sunroof and anyway it will easier process of getting roof flat from amount of filler who someone out on this roof.