Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SWB 1968 - Best way to mount a period correct 3 points harness ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    So it is for me Chuck,
    Learning a lot, always from that brillant community.

Still seeking information on correct period 3 points harness mount setup :-)
    I have just ordered the rollcage single hoop as shown on many of the (period correct) pics I have. But not enough close up from being sure about the harness setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Xavier,

It was educational on my part.... Looking through my stuff and the net I found only one example of the diagonal (diagonals) used pre '69
    The example is the Gregg Loomis 911 at Daytona in '67....
    Looks like two diagonals going from the corners of the hoop down to the center...

I have a few photos of 911's with diagonal bracing in '69...

Cheers,
    cm
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Very interesting and subtle rear trim detail that I didn't catch when I saw the car (the parcel shelf cross piece trim), anybody else catch that? This car absolutely NEEDS a 3 point harness as I can personally attest after driving this car!
    I had a second look, and this is very nice indeed.

Should go on the satanic details thread, for sure.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Posted this elsewhere yesterday. The writeup said this is a Pauli Toivenen works car to group 111 for Monte. Geared to 100mph 195bhp from 2.0 on carbs not injection. These pictures were taken in 69 with young Jurgen Barth demonstrating it for road test in a November 69 dated British magazine article. No evidence of roll cage in photos as far as I can see but according to write up it had one.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 756
Size:  93.7 KB

Nice view of dash for those wanting to replicate the old look.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-06-2018 at 02:59 PM.

This is the rear belt connection of my 911 Normal from 1968:

Name:  IMGP5614.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  78.8 KB
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

Looking at the instructions for the Britax 1080 takes me back in time to the days when we first started rallying in Minis.

Roll cages weren't mandatory and there were no regulations concerning their manufacture.

The first cage we bought was manufactured by John Aley (Aleybars) and was made from 1.25" (32mm) diameter ERW Tube with the centre bracket being clamped to the main hoop using a simple cast aluminium clamp. From memory it cost about $15.00 - around a week's pay at the time.

It was a main hoop with a central tube bolted to the parcel shelf and when you rolled the car (a common occurrence with a Mini) it used to flatten the shelf into the boot. No-one fitted reinforcing plates to the shell we just bolted them to the floor and hoped for the best and frankly they weren't much good.

Seat belts became mandatory in 1965 (before I started to compete) but harnesses weren't mandatory for competition for several years.

The only real choice at the time were Britax or Kangol - am sure that Irvine were also used but you couldn't buy them easily from the local 'tuning' shop.

The 1080 Seat belts had simple loops where they attached to the main lap belt and they weren't sewn but free floating and they used to move around and were horribly uncomfortable. Later Britax belts didn't have these loops and were stitched into place.

It was commonplace to fit them to the parcel shelf and in a big accident they used to pull the shelf out of the bodyshell.

We used to bolt the fitting for the tail belt to the floor behind the front seat to stop this from happening but this has now been banned and the FIA recommendation is that the tail belt should be fitted in a horizontal position (+/-) 5 degrees if possible.

We used the same belts for the best part of 10 years having switched away from Britax to Willans and fitted them into several different cars.

We eventually had to chuck them out when they frayed and we failed scrutineering.

Stefan, is it standard/factory mounted ?

I remember there were factory installed on my 2.7 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post

O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Congrats to the car Xavier and welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post

That's also the configuration on my 68S FIA Group 3. A Britax Competition or 901 harness with the two shoulder straps going to the same anchor point as seen in the pic above.

Here's a photo of the outer lower mount on my car, just ahead of the rool bar mounting point.

Chris

Whatever happened to nostalgia ...

Kangol's Speedmaster harness circa 73 around fifteen quid ...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  135.8 KB
    Also have some old ones in deep storage. Porsche Cars GB fitted kangol three point static in 73 models locally if not fitted at factory but unsure about which three point harness was used by them here..

Can't recall where I got this photo of Kangol Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 661
Size:  104.4 KB ... Maybe found it on this forum?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Xavier,

And you're saying it has to be a U.S. comp car and not European... Yes?
    This "racing" modification would probably been done to the individuals preference would it not have been ???

Some drivers may prefer 3 point which would have a Belt connection in a different place to a 4 point ??

The 3 point may have been preferred by some, especially early rally drivers who liked to be able to give their Co driver a "whack" on the helmet for a bad pace note.

Whilst others liked the freedom of the 3 point to be able to easily display the "KNOWN" race track hand communications.

Attachment 456476

Attachment 456477

Attachment 456478

???
    Last edited by 72targa; 05-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Very interesting and subtle rear trim detail that I didn't catch when I saw the car (the parcel shelf cross piece trim), anybody else catch that? This car absolutely NEEDS a 3 point harness as I can personally attest after driving this car!
    Thanks Eric! I was wondering if anyone would catch that when I posted the photo
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #