Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 911-S....another 'what's it worth' thread

1970 911-S....another 'what's it worth' thread

I would appreciate hearing thoughts on a real market based value of my 70-S non-sunroof MFI coupe, light ivory/black, nut and bolt rotisserie restored (hundreds of photos and 'inches' of receipts that document the build), matching numbers engine/trans, and superb provenance with every record from the window sticker forward. Original panels - never rusted out or wrecked. Truly concours condition, so to start the conversation, Hagerty valuation tools shows $213K for a #1/Concours example. #2/Excellent condition shows it at $179K. I've heard that such impeccable provenance of records can add a good $$ bump over a like car that has little if any records. Thank you.

I have the exact same car in every way, minus the nut and bolt rotisserie. Once I have done the resto, I certainly wouldn't sell for a cent less than $250k.

I know of one that is offered now for around 235. It is as you describe yours, with fresh second resto on never rusted or damaged body.

Edit:added www.techweenie.com
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

mac73s,

It would help to see some pics of the level of detail of the restoration on your car. That is ultimately what determines #1 cars, outside of the workmanship and paper trail provenance. There is a lot of restoration work nowadays where coloring and texture and everything else is incorrect, yet they are definitely "nut and bolt" restorations.

Show me the original fasteners, proper plating, painted surfaces in the right places, etc and I think Hagerty's pricing is a good gauge.

#1 in my book means you are willing to subject it to an Ed Mayo PCA Concours field inspection, where he reaches deep into the recesses of his experience base and memory banks to check off your attention to the minutiae.

The vast vast majority of really nice cars are #2 cars
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Does Ed Mayo provide those services?

You could ask him, he’s on here regularly...��
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Quote Originally Posted by TheBen View Post
    Does Ed Mayo provide those services?
    Let's let him respond....

The point I am making is most people's nice cars are not #1 cars and in the context of the OP's question the scrutiny of his restoration will dictate the car's value.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Only at Parade each year when I judge them
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you to everyone who replied - most helpful. I certainly understand that details are critical in determining a #1 or #2 level car...all good points. I can't state for sure if it would pass Ed's muster to achieve a perfect score, but I feel confident that anything amiss could be easily corrected. My wife often observes my hard labor and remarks how I spend countless hours on aspects of the car that people will never see...even in a field concours inspection. Lastly, since asking isn't getting, I wonder how many of these cars are actually bringing the circa $200K figure or do they tend to sit waiting for a new owner that does not materialize because of this price point. I sold my 86 Carrera a week ago within a few hours of advertising it and I attribute that in large part because of the vast difference in entry price into an air-cooled 911.

I've seen some pics of Mac73s's prior and current restoration. It would be very difficult to surpass his level of obsession/attention to detail and workmanship. I will share this with you though, since I have been in the market I have reached out to 4 owners/shops who all want 210 to 230K for restored cars. It has sat there for at least 8 to 24 weeks for sale. Not too long ago when the cost of the donor car was cheaper, the asking prices were 125 to 150K. Now they've skyrocketed.