Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RS Steering wheel

Thank you Steve. I appreciate your insight. As you mention above, Clyde has been very helpful on the RS wheel topic as well. Just trying to determine appropriate value if I decide to sell.

You are welcome. Hope it helps you get a fair price as wouldn't be right if based on misleading input you didn't achieve the full potential. I don't know what it is worth but sounds like it is of the thin type that was originally used on some early RS based on what you said vs original one on my RS. With your "orphan wheel" can't be sure of provenance RS or 914-6 or whatever so a bit like fitting date stamped wheels. Maybe feels good and might be worth money for some owner that it is period authentic if replacing something incorrect but deep down they would know they aren't really fitting the equipment the factory bolted to that car!

Also in my view it would be a crying shame if a good original wheel was recovered unnecessarily as I've yet to see anyone get the finish like the old original steering wheels in terms of the leather surface, patination from use, the stitching etc.

steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-04-2018 at 04:48 AM.

The seller that I purchased the wheel from was selling (and had sold other RS parts on the very same day). My thinking is it that it was in fact from an RS ...but again can't say with 100% certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    The seller that I purchased the wheel from was selling (and had sold other RS parts on the very same day). My thinking is it that it was in fact from an RS ...but again can't say with 100% certainty.
    Does it have the plastic horn pad or metal?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

It now has a metal one but no one will ever know if it had a plastic one or not.

It is the wheel that was used on first series RS cars....undeniable fact..... proven over and over and over and over and over again

Did this wheel reside on an RS, no real way of knowing now.

Hope you don't mind me butting in Kelly

I think if it was in great shape with great horn push too heading towards $1000 is not unreasonable.

I certainly would pay that for it if I was looking for another one and especially when you look at what people are paying for
    not that rare early Momos

I think 380mm is the perfect rim size for our cars can see all the dials and you have great control.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Sold two 914 347 806 10 autumn 2016 an s spring 2017 for 750€ each including a standard horn pad.

Both wheels showed wear and had never been restored. Driver quality. Good luck with your sale

This is a picture of my plastic horn push taken some time ago when removed to change the rubber under.
    Attachment 457274
    They were only fitted up until 6 Feb 73 and reportedly so many from that limited batch examples broke in just a first few months resulting in the decision to replace them with stock metal heavier ones. I suppose the remainder of the first 500 cars that were definately weighed after 6 February got a plastic one temporarily during their visit to the Stuttgart scales for official FIA homologation certification then got it swapped to series production metal one during conversion order M471 or M472. Few plastic ones survive on cars today due to that fragility and that documented early production change. A surviving plastic part on x/70 stamp and 106.10 along with an unmolested original leather wrap is a pointer to early RS wheel provenance particularly if still bolted to its early RS.

My car was actually built in 72 and by Feb 6th, it was already delivered anD had been driven on public road using trade plates before that date so it certainly would have had (and indeed still does have) its proper plastic part.

I'm in touch with the first purchasor. He ordered it in first week of October 72 and coincidentally it was road registered around the weekend of the Daytona 24 that brought the RS model much attention. This date is confirmed by the first registration papers in the car's history file. Original owner is still living at the same home address as on the first registration document from 73. One of the first few RS on the road in England that early. He has kindly got behind my research into "our" car. Helpful when Porsche were citing his his data privacy as their reason to not to bother helping. Don't think the faceless bureacrats of Porsche who were dragging their feet expected to have his written permission 45 years on

It is documented that just 300 RS examples were built in calendar '72. The famous example taken from the series and in January 73 converted to M491 shipped then raced to win at Daytona 24 in Feb 73 was a later chassis 0328 from Jan 73 -- his new purchase was a closer contemporary with the factory Safari RS rally cars that were also built in calendar 72.

Purchasor must've felt pretty pleased with his choice of new motorcar in 73 when the following news broke about the what is referred to as RS in the factory press release .
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  141.1 KB
    Curiously Porsche's announcement didn't refer to winner as an RSR -- possibly deliberately to generate public interest in the non-racing variants that might still have been on sale then? Once the homologation two step order and two step build process using various limited edition parts were no longer required they maybe even made some profit on the third series RS ordered and built in the conventional way?

As is well known the RS/R unexpectedly punched above it's weight in Daytona that year and began to generate publicity which along with many other RS/R success probably helped create extra demand and influenced the decision to build 500 more as a third series. Probably welcome publicity just as the earliest RS examples with distinctive tail wider rear wheels etc were hitting the road when marketing had feared they may not even hit the 500 sales target ...let alone over 1500.

Below are the entry papers official blank including the full race rules and prize money on offer for that 73 Daytona race that's gathering dust on my shelf....an original document from a contemporary event in the model's history.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  121.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  96.3 KB

Nick Faure driving early first 500 series chassis M472 as part of his winning the British Production Sports Championship in 1973. The race programme from my collection, is dated March, but think the photo on cover might be from the first victory of a Carrera RS in the UK at Croft circuit in North Yorkshire during previous round. Car was a stock M472 early 006x first 500 series spec (the importer's press demonstrator). Other than removal of rear seats ostensibly to allow the required roll cage. It had a battery cutoff (in nearside horn grill?) and a fire extinguisher as required for RACMSA safety regulations but the radio and heavy electric aerial in right wing were left fitted. Ran on 6 &7 wheels and tweaked tyre pressures. Heard it was driven the circa 600 mile round trip from Isleworth -- as all production racers should do in my opinion.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  90.5 KB
    It is my understanding this car also had a "thin wrap" 380mm wheel.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-18-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Add Daytona official blank and other image

Appreciate the insight gentlemen.

Semper Discens !!