Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest In Peace, Steve Anderson

Rest In Peace, Steve Anderson

It's with a terribly heavy heart that I spread the news of my brother's sudden passing.

Steve Anderson suffered a heart attack on Friday, and was unable to be resuscitated. The only grace of this tragedy is that it occurred as he was returning from Santa Cruz Island, where he and his wonderful wife Kerry spent a glorious day hiking and celebrating their 27th wedding anniversary.

Steve was a fixture in the Southern California automotive world, having graduated from Art Center majoring in transportation design and taking up positions with VW, Nissan, GM, and most recently Audi. His professional legacy includes work involving the Concept One/New Beetle, 350Z, Solstice, Jay Leno's turbine car, and countless concept cars that never made it to market. The automotive design world knew him well and is reeling from his loss.

Steve's design talent didn't rest when he went home for the day, instead he spent his evenings drawing custom illustrations for clients, and series documentation that were a mainstay of the market reports for Excellence and Forza magazines. He contributed illustrations that were difficult to discern from photography, such was his attention to detail, for books such as British Racing Green. His latest involvement was with 000 magazine, and he was thrilled to be a part of it. The series prints he created for this moonlight business, Steve Anderson Illustrations, dedicated to the history of Porsche and Ferrari models, can still be found for sale on our favorite enthusiast retailers.

Steve had an eclectic taste in the car he owned for fun, never more than one at a time, and rarely held onto for more than a few years. What started with a '80 911SC Weissach Edition, evolved into a '74 Carrera, and then a '69 911S SWT. His affinity for Porsches was always there, but he dabbled in other marques, owning an early M Coupe, an LP400, a flat-floor E-Type, Jim Clark Edition Elise, Rolls Corniche, Rover D90, and the current D110.

It goes without saying that he got me into the early 911 world, helping me locate my '70 911E in 1999, and introducing me to many of the guys he knew like Cris, Freeman, Kevin, Chuck, Frank, Pete, and many others.

Steve is survived by his college sweetheart Kerry, and his five beautiful children. As a family we are still grieving and working through it all, and the support expressed has been amazingly indicative of how many people his work and life touched. A service in his memory will be held on Friday in Ojai; if you knew him and need the details, please feel free to contact me directly.

Rest In Peace, Stretch.
    Last edited by BAPhotowerks; 05-09-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My deepest condolences. A terrible loss.
    Rest in Peace, Steve.

Still reeling from the news, which arrived not long after Steve passed. I just saw him at Luft, and we spoke as his daughter talked about her recent trip to build houses.

Steve's talent went far beyond anything we worked on for Excellence or 000, yet he brought enthusiasm to each and every illustration and was committed to getting it just right. Far more important, every conversation with Steve was uplifting, somehow.

Yes, we lost a great one...

pete

Very sorry for your loss.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    Truly sorry for you, his wife, children, and the many people his life impacted. I hope he made his peace with God. Thanks for sharing his accomplishments Brad.

Life is but a vapor.
    Carpe diem.

I just can't believe it...........

My deepest sympathies to you and yours Brad, Kerry and the kids...

What'a loss to loved ones, friends, and this community...

I met Steve at a Zone 8 PCA concours over 25 years ago... friends ever since

All I can say is what'a loss... You WILL be missed......... R.I.P. my friend
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

After being introduced to Steve at his Monterey booth by mutual friend Mark Greene (Cars Yeah) several years ago, Steve, Mark and my wife conspired to have Steve make a big painting of my Alfa GTA for a birthday.
    More recently I asked Steve if he would step out of the car art world to make a plane picture. Another friend of mine has a (then) 29 year old USNA graduate, Top Gun fighter pilot instructor son (Buddy) who became a ventilator dependent quadriplegic after being T-boned at 98 mph by someone stealing a pickup truck. The crash happened less than a mile from the end of his morning work commute. The perp's passenger was killed as was the driver of another pickup in the intersection. Perp suffered only a leg fracture.
    After talking with Steve, who was immediately on board with the idea, we decided to have him make a painting of Buddy's jet. When finished it was most impressive and is still treasured by the young man. After all his work, Steve would only let me pay him for the framing and shipping charges.
    Steve always had time for a friendly chat even when obviously busy at various car events.Name:  IG_Buddy.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  146.1 KB
    Bill Morris

Such a shock and sad bit of news. Still hard to believe and accept. I had the opportunity of working directly with Steve for almost 8 years at GM Design and knew him for almost another 10 . . . and enjoyed everything he brought to his role, but mostly just enjoyed his enthusiasm towards this industry and his reverence and respect for those in it. He truly loved this business. But it was clear he cherished his family in how he talked about them and enjoyed supporting them with their endeavors. Our last handshake was as he was off to a soccer game after Luft 5. I'll miss all of that amazing art and the happy hellos at all the auto events and the quick, but all too infrequent calls. He leaves a big empty space for all of us to remember.

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Most sincere and heartfelt sympathies to Brad, Kerry, family and friends.

God Rest the soul of another good man, enthusiast, and creative genius
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

I am so shocked and sadden by this news ,its terrible. My heart goes out to his wife and family he was such a great guy. I met Steve at the Lit meet in February of 1999 I was looking for a 69-71 S Targa and Steve was selling his beautiful 69 soft window S Targa at the time. I managed to buy it and we have been friends ever since. An incredible talent in design and a true gentle soul. He was the kind of guy you just wanted to be around, he made you feel special all the while you knew who he was as a Giant in the car design world. He was so modest you would never get an inkling of who he was in the industry, I always admired Steve for that. God rest his soul!